Chapter 23

Daegu, 10 Years Ago

The police caught Taehyung. That teenager seemed to be shocked. He didn't even move when the police cuffed his hands and took him to the police station.

Taehyung didn't say a word. He blankly looked at the city lights when the car that taking him to the police station past the streets.

But when Taehyung was thrown behind the cell, he regained his consciousness. That very night, he called Tiffany's father.

"Please take Tiffany to America as soon as possible, please don't let her know what I've done...."

Tiffany's father was so dumbstruck. He was so speechless. He still couldn't believe that Taehyung had killed someone. That boy was a bastard, but Hwang Jung Min had never thought that Taehyung could be a murderer. He is a murderer now.

With all the pains in his eyes, Taehyung tried to convey his words through the phone. "I would never try to see Tiffany again... That's why, I'm begging you, please raise my child with Tiffany. Please love that child. Please give him a father, a father who would love him so much, a father that would protect him and give him a shelter that I can never give."

Taehyung knew he would face a heavy sentence. He would probably never be able to see the sun again for years to come. How long would he stay in prison? Five years? Ten years? Twenty years? Or would he face a death sentence?

"Please take care of Tiffany and our child. Please don't let them know what happened to me... It would be so painful for them if they knew I'm a murderer. It will be better if my child never hears anything about me. It will be better for him if he has another father. It will only crush his heart if he finds out that his father is a murderer....."

And so it was, Tiffany had never known that Taehyung had been convicted. He was sentenced to live inside a prison. He had to spend ten years of his life behind the bar.

After Tiffany had left for USA, Taehyung asked his mother to lie and tell Tiffany that he had died in an accident. He knew Tiffany would try to call him by phone.

"Wae, Taehyung ah? Why do you have to lie to her?"

Taehyung painfully forced his smile. He had disappointed and hurt his mother more than he could've ever imagined. "Because I don't want Tiffany to waste her life waiting for someone like me.... She still has a bright future without me."

"But why? Why do you choose to suffer alone?"

"Because it's what best for both of us. It's what's best for our child."

"Wh... What did you say, Taehyungie? Your child?"

"Mianhae, Eomma...." Taehyung's tears fell down like a rain. He told his mother that he was having a baby with Tiffany and Taehyung didn't want to ruin his child's life if he found out that his father was a murderer.

"Eomma, your son is a fool." Taehyung teared up. "But please do it for my child, your grandchild. This is all I can do for him and for Tiffany. Please understand that your son is a fool, but he loves his girlfriend and his child so much...."

Taehyung's mother bursted into tears. Somewhere out there, her grandchild would be born. Even though she would  never see his face, but it was Taehyung's child, her own granchild. She would do anything for her grandchild. She knew she could never be able to give anything to him, except a small sacrifice.

"Eomma, I hope my child will grow up well and become a good person who will make his mother proud of him. But more than anything, I pray my child will grow up as a happy child."

Taehyung's mother complied. Knowing that Tiffany was smart, Taehyung also asked his mother to make a fake tomb for him, so that Tiffany would believe he had really died.

And Taehyung also told Tiffany's father the same thing.

........................................................................

Daegu, Present Day

Taehyung dropped himself at the porch of his old house. His eyes were wet of tears. For years, he could only stare at the moon outside his cell and wonder how Tiffany was doing. His life in prison was really tough and hard, but everytime he remembered Tiffany and their unborn child, Taehyung found a strength to go through another day. He had missed that woman for ten years. He had longed to see her again....

But when they finally met, Taehyung had to kill his heart. If only he had a choice, he wouldn't choose to hurt that woman. The woman he had tried hard to protect. The reason of his existance.

It was really hard for Taehyung to look Tiffany in the eye and showed her no emotions, but he had to. He couldn't drag Tiffany to the darkness. They no longer had the same way. They no longer walked on the same path anymore. He couldn't ruin Tiffany's life. He had ruined it once, ten years ago. He couldn't do it anymore.

Taehyung forced himself to act heartless in front of Tiffany even though it cut his heart bit by bit, but for her sake, Taehyung would endure all pains. And no matter how much it killed him not to show his love for that girl, Taehyung still couldn't fool his heart.

When Tiffany touched his face for the first time after ten years, he almost failed to cover his feelings. He was dying to hold her. He was dying to kiss her. And when Tiffany passed out that day, it was Taehyung who carried her while running to SM staff's car...  And his heart almost stopped beating seeing Tiffany unconscious like that.

And secretly, without anyone knew nor realized, Taehyung stayed at the hospital. He kept praying and praying for that girl to wake up. He would never forgive himself if anything happened to that girl. And even after Jungkook and Yuri left the hospital, Taehyung still stayed there outside Tiffany's bedroom, without anyone knew he was there, not even Tiffany.

And after Tiffany showed him their pictures together and the wedding 'ring' he had made for her, Taehyung almost gave up. He couldn't stand it anymore. He was almost leaving....

But he couldn't leave that girl, not yet. Not until he knew Tiffany was safe. Until that day, Taehyung had to be someone he hated the most. He had to hurt Tiffany until he made sure that girl was safe.

Taehyung stared at the bright moon in Daegu's night sky.... He had got out of the prison, but somehow, his heart was not yet free.[]

........................................................................