Chapter 23 - This is our Fight (Part 2/5)

"We're late again!"

"Shit Kuroo is gonna kill us!"

My eyes peel open to the roaring sound of yet again, another angry Sugawara. People's footsteps running all around me in the sheer panic. If I was to take a wild guess, I'd say were late, again. Which to me at this point is no surprise, it's not like were running a military operation here. Still half asleep I ran my fingers through my hair and pulled myself upright and rubbed my tired eyes. The stickiness of  the morning rubbing off on my fingers.

"Hinata." Noya threw my clothes at me, smacking me in the face almost sending me back into my pillow. "C'mon, it's the big day." He smiled at me. 

My eyes beaded as I started up at him. Today WAS the day. I felt my heart fall to my stomach and the nerves began to set in as my guts twisted and turned. I truly believed today would be the day I saw Kageyama again. I closed my eyes. Breathed. I played the happy scene in my head a few times, the look on his face, the look on mine. The relief I would feel to have him in my arms again. Taking one last deep breath I looked back up a Noya and shot him back a bright smile. Not daring to show the nerves I may have been hiding. 

"Seriously though you should get up we're supposed to be meeting Kuroo in a few hours." He said then briskly walked off. If I hadn't been daydreaming and staring into space I might not have noticed the hickeys settled right in between his thighs as he walked away. I felt my face flush red and that was the last straw to pull my out of bed. 

***

Our cars pulled into the old mill, one behind the other, for the second time that month. Dust rolling up behind the cars. Of course Kuroo was already there leaning against the hood of his jeep with a cigarette in his mouth and clutching to his weapon. As soon as he seen us come to a stop he flicked the but into the bushes and approached us. 

Kuroo placed a strong hand on my shoulder only seconds after i'd stepped out of the car, forming a tight grip. I winced at the pain and stared up at him with furrowed brows. "Uhh, Ouch?" I said, pushing his hand away. Even that was ballsy for me. 

"You guys better be looking after Kenma. How is he? Is he safe?" He began to ramble. His composure slightly cracking at the worry for his partner. Everyone knew that only Kenma could make him feel this way. 

"Yes Kuroo he's fine." Daichi approached, greeting Kuroo with the typical "bro hug" they'd become used to. They pulled back and looked at each other with stern eyes. It was like these kind of alpha males had a way of communicating with only their eyes. Like some kind of telepathic connection. I got the idea of what they were saying. 

"Come on! Do I not get any love?" Bokuto called from the hood of his car, Aakashi by his side and a wide smirk on his face. It had been a long time since he'd seen his dear friend.

Kuroo's eyes widened at the sight and his grip loosened in his hands. He slung his gun over his shoulder and almost ran to Bokuto, hugging him tightly, Bokuto responding the same way, tears forming in their eyes. "I-I'm so happy to see you, I haven't seen you since-"

"I know." Bokuto pulled back, taking a deep breath and composing himself. "Trust me I know." After a moment of silence they both let out a solemn laugh and slapped each others shoulders. Obviously reminiscing about something in their past. 

Kuroo turned back to us, glancing over everyone present. Mint Water, The Daylight Owls, The Fallen Crows and them. Everyone stood, looking to Kuroo as if expecting him to say something. "Is this everyone? Then lets get going, there's no time to waste."

With all four teams now together we could finally leave and make the final stretch of our journey to the Iron Eagles base. From here, we had about 100 miles to go before we made contact with them. We planned it out so we'd be there after dark, maximising our odds of survival as much as possible. Or so we hoped.