Chapter 10 - First Day on the Job

That night I stumbled my way back to my apartment, the clouds glowing a deep purple and the sky a misty grey. The moon barely poking it's head over the tops of the clouds above, giving the slightest amount of light down onto the roads ahead of me. I was so tired, I'd been awake for god knows how long now. I feel like any second i'll drop dead.
"Kageyama! Wait up!" Hinata called to me. His stomps becoming louder and louder until he reached my side. "Sorry I got held back" He panted. His warm breath creating a small cloud of mist as it exits his mouth and nostrils.
"It's fine..." I reply. We give each other strange looks, as if we were expecting something to be said from each of us, but words cannot find their way out. "Hey, Hinata..."
"Hmm?"
"Can I just say I'm sorry? For all the trouble I caused, and for making you cry and worry about me" I say. I feel my face burn slightly and my lips curl in on each other. Not that I noticed, but Hinata's face was also burning. I think we both sensed the awkwardness because we both turned our heads.
"Please forget about me crying! I'm a lot tougher than that i swear...and why are you apologising to me!? I'm the one who was super mean!" He shouts whilst pointing and waving a finger in my face.
"Yeah but...ah whatever i'm just glad i'm here with y-..." I cut myself off. I seriously don't know what's wrong with me.
"Finish your sentences stupid Kageyama" Hinata smiled.
"Ah, nothing im glad I'm here. That's all." What the hell was I about to say anyways.
"Well I'm glad I've made a real friend. Thank you for being my friend Kageyama..." Just as the clouds give off their last hint of purple Hinata gives off a blinding smile that you could argue is brighter than the sun itself. Before we know it we're back at the apartments and it's just about time for us to part ways into our separate rooms. We look at eachother for a minute before finally moving towards our rooms.
"Well, goodnight." I say whilst waking into my room.
"Goodnight Kags, OH! And don't forget up at 6am we're heading out!" Hinata gives one last smile before closing his door and leaving me to stand in the drafty hallway. I close my door and retreat straight to my bed, flopping down on the soft matress and letting my world fade to black as soon as I hit the sheets.

***

Beep Beep Beep

What the fuck?

Beep Beep Beep

Ugh! Shut up!

Beep Beep B-

I slam my hand down on the alarm clock to stop it's annoying ringing. 06:00, ugh. Today is going to be a long day. I quickly shower and throw on whatever clean clothes I can find and head out to meet Hinata. Atlas tags along beside me as we walk to the gate. Turns out I was early and he hadn't got here yet. Typical.
"Come on Hinata, I'm impatient.." I mumble to myself and just as I do he comes running up the path with two guns slung around his shoulder.
"Kageyama!" He yells out whilst waving his hand in the air. He quickly joined me by my side and took a moment to regain his breath. At least he tried to make it on time.
"Took you long enough." I snapped.
"Yeah well, I was getting this." He says, handing me some sort of rifle.
"You expect me to use this?" I question, already having trouble finding the trigger.
"It's actually easier to use than that pistol you were using the other day with the horde."
"Seriosuly?" I question his logic but pass it by as I look at the gun for a second time. "Alright...Atlas, lets go" I whistle and slap my thigh bringing the dog to my side and we walk out of the gate.

***
Everything was going fine until-
"Kageyama shoot it!" Hinata screamed. I'm not sure how we got in this situation. We came across a house, about 3 miles from camp. It was a small farmhouse. Much like my own. It was almost too good to be true. Canned goods, water. Even some chocolate! But we soon realised why this house had been left the way it was. As we were exploring one of the upstairs bedrooms the entire ceiling caved and out fell a pile of zombies. They came in between Hinata and I, creating a type of wall. Hinata lost his gun to the fall, and now he was cornered. They surrounded him and were getting closer by the second, the only way he could defend himself was by kicking. Soon that just wasn't going to cut it. Atlas continued to bark and run around in circles. Clearly he's as confused as to what to do as me. I can see his pain, how hes struggling. But I'm so fucking stupid I can't shoot the gun. If he dies here right now it's going to be all my fault. "Kageyama pull the handle and shoot!" He shouted. Suddenly my brain begins to function again and I yank the handle down as far as I can and aim the gun directly to the pack of zombies. The stupid bastards didn't even notice me until I start spraying them down. After about 20 bullets and a lot of blood shed, screaming and wailing, Hinata finally scrambles out of the corner and into me. He grips onto my coat and shoves his face into my rapidly rising and falling chest. "That was fucking terrifying!" His muffled voice just about comes through and I can now relax and so can Atlas.
"You're alright?" I ask, slightly pushing him away from me to check for wounds or bites. Atlas comes up to him and starts sniffing him all over.
"I-I think so." He nervously laughs. I sharpen my eyes and glare at him, his face slightly red. I notice a small patch of red on his torso and my body fills with anger. He's injured. I thrust myself at him and pull his shirt up revealing his entire stomach and chest. I feel my face burn as soon as I see how well built he is. He has a pretty good six pack and his chest is really defined. I brush the hormones away and remind myself what i'm looking for. Wounds, I search where I seen the blood stain and notice a gash in his side.
"What the fuck is this!? Did one of them scratch you!" I scream, pulling myself away from him in horror.
"No no I swear!" He yells back, grabbing onto my sleeves and looking me dead in the eyes.
"Then what is it!?"
"A piece of wood got me whilst I was falling! I swear!" Hinata points to a small part of broken wood where he was just lying, sure enough the wood is covered in a small layer of blood. I feel my legs turn to jelly and I fall to my knees. Atlas rushes to my side and places a paw on my knee.
"I thought you were a goner." I said, taking deep breaths between my sentences.
"I'm fine, I'm fine. Let's just wrap it up and go back, we've got what we need." He smiled.
"Alright..." I rip off part of my shirt and wrap it around his waist, hopefully stopping some of the blood loss until we get back to the town. We start walking back and I notice how clear the sky is. I can't help but look at the blue canvas.
"I don't know how you did this for an entire two years..." Hinata said, breaking the silence.
"What do you mean?"
"Like, what we just did. But all day, every day. How did you even survive."
"I don't know either to be honest..." I say, laughing slightly.
"You should smile more..." Hinata suddenly says making me jump.
"W-what? Why?"
"It suits you." He smiles.
"No it doesn't dumbass..." I say, turning my head to cover the red. Seriously what's happening.
Hinata laughs and gives a smile. "Whatever you say..."