Chapter 18

I think this is the last chapter, and possibly an epilogue, if I feel like it. 

Enjoy!

Chapter 18 - Ask Me Again in a Year

I came up with the conclusion that I love him one night, but didn't tell him the next morning when I saw him. I guess I was too nervous to, and I didn't know how to. 

He was awake when I got there that morning, slightly later then earlier, more or less around lunch, which was rare but whatever. I opened the door into the room and smiled when I saw him smiling back at me. I know Paul loved it how I came just for him everyday.

"Morning Paul," I said pleasantly at him as I walked over to him, with his book still in my hand like always. I stopped next to his bed, leaning in to kiss his check when he took my face lightly in his hands and kissed my lips.

After a second, he pulled away, "Morning Holly," Paul whispered at me with love, I felt star struck almost. His thumbs brushed my checks, feeling the skin. I was lost in those hazel eyes of his, and he noticed.

"Lost in my wonderful eyes?" He smirked. I came back to myself, and rolled my eyes at him, not wanting to admit it. I pulled his hands off my face and stood up, holding one of his hands in my own.

"No, I was just thinking," I guess that was true. I dropped his hand, setting the book on the table by his bed. He looked up at me, loving the annoyance his smirk was causing me. 

"Sure love, I'll believe it," The sarcasm was thick in his voice as he spoke, getting me to scoff and play slightly around with his hand. I decided to change the subject from this stupidness and child manner.

"Anyway, how are you feeling?" Even though he was doing much better and would get to leave the hosipital in only a few days, maybe less then a week, but I still wanted to make sure he's fine. I care a lot about him.

"Oh," Paul changed the smirk to a pleasant half smile, "I'm fine, the nurses already asked me that many times most of this morning for actually being awake. I feel wonderful really, now that you're here." I gave him his hand back, and picked the book back up. I was somewhat hungry, because I missed breakfast from waking up late after thinking about love all night.

"Whatever," I blushed, "Well, I'm going down to the cafeteria to get some food, I'm starving. You want me to get you anything?" I was trying to be polite but I really needed to eat.

"No, you go," He waved me off. I waved a goodbye to him and went for the door again, knowing I would be back soon enough.

I looked back at him from the door, "See you later," I waved back with one hand, and took the door handle in my other hand.  Then I left the room, going though the hospital halls and to the elevator. I went down a couple of floors to the bottom, and traveled around some more. 

I got to a small cafeteria, and was able to buy some food, not really that much but some, and it was bland enough but whatever. I sat down with my bowl of soup at a table near a window, looking out at the cloudy day, as always. There were a couple others, some doctors ever but no one really cared about each other.

I took his book in my hand, while eating, and opened up to the page were I was. I began to read again. I loved this book, it's like his journal of his life for the last 6 or 7 years, or it is really. It makes me laugh and almost cry. I always read it in his voice, it makes it more real.

My Bonnie,

That John I told you about let me in the band. I'm overwhelmingly happy about it. Even though he though I was too young, he is 2 years older then me, I showed off enough on my guitar that I get to be lead! I hope you realize this is completely fab, gear and all that good shit. His friends don't like me for that, but if John thinks I have some sort of talent, then I must. You think I have talent right? Well, you've never heard me play but if I ever see you again, and when I'm old enough, I'm going to come find you in New York and play for you. All the other birds love it when I play, but you're not like other birds. Look at me, I'm going to start going on about how sweet you are. I would love to hear back from you someday, if I ever send this. 

I'll let you know how it goes with John and his band, called The Quarry Men. I know, what a name. 

Sincerely, 

James Paul McCartney

P.S. I love you.

He end every letter with P.S. I love you, and it always made me smile. He had song lyrics with this one, something about me again but it wasn't ever finished. That's fine though, I still loved it. I looked up from the book, and still ate some soup.

I smiled.

Paul rolled out of the elevator, on that wheel chair of his, and came rolling towards the cafeteria. He got really go at that thing, rolling around with speed, doing little wheelies over bumps and swerving around people.

Paul rolled over to me, stopped next to me. I smiled with my mouth close, since it was full of soup. He smiled back, taking my hand in his. I closed his book, now that he was here anyway. 

"Where are you in it?" He like to know how much I loved his book. It made him feel good to know that I like this shit. I gulped down my food, taking a breath and speaking at him.

"Where you got in John's band and you got the lead." I giggled slightly, "And then the next page, you talk about how you fucked it all up and got demoted. I'm on the third read of this thing," He nodded, remembering all of that.

"You like it that much?" His smile grew huge.

"Of course, I love it," I took another spoonful of soup and then spoke after swallowing it, "It's like I'm talking to a younger version of you, and the pictures of you with that hair is completely hilarious, all teddy boy and stuff." He squeezed my hand softly.

"I love you," He told me, after a moment of silence. I looked over at him, wondering what he was doing down here.

"You know what Paul?" I answered.

"Hm?" He put his elbow on the table, balancing his head. I curled my fingers with his, holding his hand tightly. I thought I would be nervous but I realized I wasn't, I was excited to tell him. I couldn't hold it in anymore.

"I think," I breathed, "I think I love you too," He blinked for a second, and smiled at me. I took another spoonful of soup, like I had said something normal, everyday. And it felt normal, and wonderful to be in love with him. 

We were silent, I kept eating. His just looked at me, thinking about me probably, or at least what I said. I knew he was happy, I was. Then, out of nowhere, he surprised me.

"Holly," I looked over at him, but he was holding something in my hand . I looked and gasped at what I saw, beginning to think he was going crazy.

"Marry me," He whispered, loud enough for me to hear.

My eyes widened, looking at that ring he was holding in his hand, in a dark blue box. My heart thumbed into my ears, my mouth hanging open slightly and all sorts of worries and questions entered my mind. 

"When did you have time to get that?" My words stumbled out of my mouth, so surprised, and shocked at his wants. 

He chuckled quietly to himself, looking at it, and then back at me, "I got it a long time ago, after our first kiss. After that, I knew I wanted to spend forever with you." We barely dated before, and I'm not even sure if we are together now, yet he's sure he wants to marry me. 

"How could you be so sure?" More questions in my head, like this one. 

He was serious, "I'm less sure of my own existence, then I am of this." Well shit, I didn't see that one coming. He's pretty sure about all of this.

"I don't know, I mean you're wonderful but I'm not sure if we are even dating right now and you want to get..." How could say it? I couldn't really.  I sighed and thought about it a second and looked at him, "Maybe we should try and have a normal relationship like everyone else for awhile, dating and such, and then asked me again, like in a year." He knew I was right, and knew I could never say yes to this right now. 

He nodded, "You're probably right, I mean you are right." He looked down, "So you're mine?" I smiled and looked away, and shrugged.

"Sure," And even though I told him no, I knew he was happy. Paul had his girl back, and now he had  no worries in the world.