Chapter 6

Don't worry about Paul right now, he'll have his own fricken book and you'll get to see what the hell's going on with him OK? OK, moving on to the good stuff.

Enjoy!

Chapter 6 - A visit to an ex-friend Part 1

I set patently outside her building, my thumbs tapping on the wheel of my car. I really wanted to see my friend, former friend I guess. Maybe we could be friends again, or maybe not, I'm not sure. I really just want to say I'm sorry for what I had done.

What if she yelled at me? What if she shut the door on my face? What if...

No I'm going to be positive about this. I'm going to be nice no matter what, and not an ass even if she acts like one.

I debated with myself whether or not to just put my keys back into the ignition and just drive home so I could paint or not be there at least. But I stopped myself quickly. My keys were shoved into the pocket of my thin jacket before I could do anything about them, and I opened the door of my car. 

I stepped out into the cold December air, thinking I was a dumb ass for not wearing a thick coat that afternoon. The air blew through my hair and I fought my way across the small street, face down so I would be slapped with the wind, and into the door of the building.

The door creaked slightly as I shoved my way through, and it seemed to be on it's last leg before it just fell off the hinges. I didn't ask any questions though, it wasn't my time to complain. Maybe the owner of the building just couldn't afford a new door at the moment, I don't know.

Moving on, I found the list that named off the residents and their flat numbers. Her name was somewhere in the middle of the list and the number was 3-B. I figured that meant the third floor and I would find the door that said the number.

The large door to the right of the list stapled to the wall, was the door that led to the stair case and I quickly went through it. My hand clenched the cold, metal railing as I went up the cement stairs. Half of me wanted Lilly to be home so I could explain and apologize. The other half of my person wanted her to be out, so I could just go home and drink some warm tea.

It fucking cold in that place for some reason. How could these people live without any heating? I was beginning to wonder why Lilly chose to live in a place like that. Maybe it was just cheaper and she couldn't afford a better place then that.

 Anyway, I reached the third floor, it had a long, almost endless, hallway that stretched far ahead of me. I began my way down, starting to shake with nervousness, I am a people person, and yet I'm nervous to meet one person that may or may not hate me. 

Her door was the second on the right. It's letters were silver, and they starred me down, daring me to knock and face what would happen.

I breathed in and out a few times, pulling on my jeans slightly with a bit of fear that I could get yelled at, and I really didn't want that. I was having enough issues with ex-boyfriends, a baby, and loneliness, what could I benefit from being bitched at?

If you said nothing, you are correct. 

My brain forced my hand to knock on the door three times in a row, slamming the knuckles against the rough wood. I put my hands behind me and held them together. My eyes wondered to my feet, and stayed there for a good while.

I began to slightly rock back and forth waiting, for what seemed like a forever, for my friend to show up at the door. Noise came from the other side of the door, before I saw the handle turn to the left and the door be pulled open.

"Holly?" She was surprised to see me there, but didn't seem angry so that was a good sign. Some of my fears began to drip of my skin before Lilly spoke again, "What are you doing here?" Her head was tilted in question at my presents.

I lifted my head up but kept my eyes looking away from hers, "I just wanted to say that I'm sorry for, um everything." I peeked up, pulling my hands around and lightly feeling my stomach. The baby was listening, I could just tell, or at least I hoped it was.

There was a pause, then a sigh and an answer, "Come inside Holly, let's chat over tea." I looked up, realizing this was an invitation, and I took it quickly. 

I nodded and followed her inside her flat, which was bigger then mine and laid out differently, but I didn't mind at all. I calmed myself with slow, quiet breaths and she pointed towards a large opening that lead into a living room. I went in there and sat down at the love seat across from another, with a table in the middle, a couch on one side, and a normal size, black and white TV on the other.

I waited for her to return, wondering what Lilly was doing. I sat, leaning forward somewhat with my arms across my stomach, to maybe hide the child. I didn't know what she would think of me being pregnant. What if she was angry? But I couldn't know for sure at that moment. 

Lilly returned with cups of tea in her hands. There was steam flying off of them, and I was happy to see it. I was freezing and that would warm me up, I would hope anyway.

She sat across from me, after setting my cup down on one end of the coffee table, and hers on the opposite end. She slowly sat down and her boney fingers reached out for the china. I followed quickly, being clumsy over my large stomach. The tea was warm and I could feel it's heat radiate through out my frozen body. 

After we each took a few slips of the warming drink, she spoke, "Tell me, what are you apologizing for?" Lilly took another slip after her voice came out. I set my drink down on the table and replyed.

"For, I guess, stealing Paul from you." I studdered over my words, embarrassingly. What can I just talk like a normal person?

Lilly looked at me for a second, setting her china cup down, and she all of a sudden started...

laughing...