Treated Like an Animal

Half way through the airplane ride, my body gave in and I went right to sleep. I didn’t trust Dimitri or anyone enough to sleep, but my body could take the fatigue anymore. I had a black sleep with no dreams at all and I was sort of hoping for one—maybe just a little glimpse of the future or something that could give me hope and strength to face my father.

            When I woke up, we were just two hours from Wyoming and I was dreading the moment I stepped off the plane. Dimitri handed me a plate of toast and eggs along with a glass of orange juice. I pushed it away and refused to touch it. Dimitri was a liar and a traitor—I hated him.

            “I bet your hungry Estelle. Just eat something. I only want to help you.” Dimitri says with a smile that I was used to seeing when I first thought he was a shy guy.

            “Are you kidding me?” I give him a bewildered look. “You’re hurting me by bringing me back to my father!” I say. He didn’t understand how my father tortured me with that Dragur and how he pushed me to my limits. To Dimitri, I looked like someone who just ran off trying to defy her daddy.

            “I don’t see it that way. You belong with your clan and your family.” I roll my eyes. Dimitri didn’t even know that my mother was a wolf, but every other clan probably didn’t know either. I knew that my father would not want to be embarrassed by telling everyone that his wife was a werewolf.

            “You don’t know anything.” I mutter and look out the window. I didn’t even have my clothes or my laptop or anything really. Dimitri finally takes the food away and I continue formulating a plan until we land the plane. It was clear that I would have to comply with my father for a few days.

            I would kill him—hell, maybe even Dimitri. Dimitri’s clan was the one and only clan that knew our location was on the island. He would tell my father and others if  he wanted which meant that he had to go. I couldn’t risk anything, but I still didn’t know how I would do it. Wouldn’t Dimitri go back to Russia as soon as I was put into my father’s arms?

            “We’re here.” One of Dimitri’s goons say. I rub my eyes and Dimitri grabs my arm to pull me up. I glare at him and pull my arm back. He grins wickedly.

            “I never thought you would be the stubborn type.” He says. I don’t respond. The door opens and I step down off the plane. It isn’t as cold as Russia is, but snow still covers the ground. I sigh and put my hood up when I spot my father.

            My heart sort of stopped when I saw him. I feel like it has been years since I have seen him, but it was only a month or so. He looks the same as when I left him. He has a straight face and his eyes watched my body as I moved closer to him. I wanted to cry. All I wanted was to be with my real family that was Will, Owen, Anne, Sokolav, Ronnie and the rest of the pack. Dimitri’s hand disappeared from my back once my father’s arms were around me. I was stiff as a board when he hugged me. I didn’t show any emotion as he babbled about how much he missed me.

            “Nick has been missing you a whole bunch and the clan is all waiting for you back at the house…” I look out the window and imagine Will’s arms around me. I imagine me being in bed with him and just sleeping soundly knowing that he was there to protect me and comfort me.

            “God Damn Estelle! Are you listening to a word I am saying?” He yells. I shrug my shoulders and look at him.

            “Not really.” I say quietly. He looks at me and then shakes his head.