Unwanted Bonding Time

My mother leaves for work around ten and I go down to the basement immediately. When I get down there I go into Will’s arms where he hugs me close to his chest. He heard everything and he knows all my family’s secrets. He doesn’t judge me though and I love him for it. Love? Did I love Will? I had only known him for a month. He was everything I could want in a man. It’s just that I didn’t think feelings like these would arrive so early.  I don’t even know if he feels the same way.

            “It’s okay Estelle. Everything will be alright.” Will says and I nod. I don’t know if he is right but I still believe that somehow—everything will be okay.

            “I just can’t believe that my father doesn’t know. How could she keep a secret like that for so long?” I sit back against the wall and take a deep breath.

            “She probably hasn’t shifted since she met your father. Her wolf essence is weak—so weak that I couldn’t even tell.”  I nod and Will puts his arm around me. We sit in silence for a few moments. There is nothing more to tell him—he heard everything. You would think my mother would remember that Will has werewolf hearing but it seems that everyone forgets. 

            “Hey Will?” I ask. Will looks at me with a loose smile on his face and that makes me smile.

            “What?” He says softly.

            “What is a claiming? The shaman briefly mentioned it when she was telling my grandmother’s story.” I looked at Will and he seems to go pale or rather really uncomfortable. I took his hand and intertwined it with mine. Will looked down at the ground. I squeezed his hand—whatever it was he could tell me.

            “It’s a—ritual of sorts.” He said with a pause. A ritual? Why was he so uncomfortable talking about this? It was kind of cute how uncomfortable he was getting. I smiled slightly.

            “And?” I urge him to continue on. Will gulps and I see his slight Adams Apple bob up and then down.

            “It’s a thing t-that mates do…” Will says quietly. I repress a giggle and look at Will. He won’t even look at me. He keeps his gaze on the floor.

            “Okay—care to expand?” I ask. I find it entertaining that Will who is usually tough and confident is now introverted and embarrassed. Will nods and continues on.

            “In the ritual they—ah—they… connect with each other and create a b-bond. Then, they a-are truly mates. Usually a wedding takes place before the claiming but those are really old traditions…” Will trails off. I turn to face him fully and take his chin. I force him to look up at me.

            “What do they do in this ritual?” I ask. Will acts so embarrassed by it and I don’t get why. I am still waiting for it.

            “We shouldn’t talk about this.” Will says and stands up. I sigh and push myself up as well. I frown slightly.

            “Why not? I am your mate, yes?” I say. Will gives me that look and I know that I am being stubborn but I just want to know.

            “Because.” I roll my eyes and go to Will. I put my hands on his broad chest. I smirk then.

            “That isn’t a very good answer. Just tell me.” I say and Will takes my hands.

            “The ritual needs two people to do the deed…” Will says awkwardly. At first I don’t get it but then I catch his drift. Sex…that is what the ritual is about? How—normal? I was expecting blood and pain, or something.