Father From Hell

They look so powerful and intimidating. I want to cower behind Will but I don’t. I keep my eyes trained on them—I can’t show fear. Will’s father is very tall just like in my dream and his dark blonde hair seems even darker then I remembered. I can still see the little flecks of silver hairs showing age and experience. He did not look happy at all to see me in the room.

            I look over at his mother. She was elegant and she was probably as tall as my mother was. She had long dark brown hair like Loraine did. Both of his parents had blue eyes though. Grant was told to sit on the couch and I was to sit next to him and wait. I did as I was told and sat down. I was at the mercy of these people. They thought I was a monster—that I killed their people. They didn’t know that I was the one that freed Will or showed him kindness when we first met. I was used to people not liking me and so I would just treat this entire ordeal like high school. Ignore the glares and the shit talking. 

            Once I am on the side with Grant, Will’s father gets up and they hug each other. His father is smiling and I wish I could have done that with my father. They embrace each other for a few moments before Will’s mother steps in. Will holds her gently to him like she is made of glass.

            “It is so good to see you my son.” She says into his ear. He kisses her cheek. They then focus their attention on me and that is when they get all serious.

            “We have guests, Owen.” She says to Will’s father who is Owen. I take a deep breath and Will looks nervous. Owen walks over to me and lifts his finger up. I stand and he fingers my necklace. He looks down at the pendant and growls at it just before ripping it off my neck. My skin burns from the sudden pull but I stay still. Will tenses and Grant cowers farther into the couch but then Grant is asked to leave the room briefly.  I clench my fist and grit my teeth. Owen circles me, sniffs me, and touches my shoulder. He then walks over to his wife.

            “A hunter!” Owen’s voice booms. I shudder slightly and Will instantly moves by me. He puts his hand on my waist and pulls me closer to him. Owen throws the necklace to the ground and it breaks. I close my eyes briefly. That necklace was all I had left of my family and he destroyed it.

            “This girl cannot be here.” He says calmly. Will tightens his grip on me and I wince at the pain. Will’s mother puts her hand on Owen’s chest and he takes a breath. 

            “She is my mate. Estelle isn’t going anywhere.” Will stands his ground and Owen’s face scrunches up. He turns to face his wife—Will’s mother who looks even taller now that she is standing.

            “Anne…” he starts and then trails off. Anne gives him a look and it seems that they are having a silent conversation. He turns back to us.

            “You know that is against pack law. Not only is she a human but a hunter!” Owen says. He yells like he is some gorilla or something like that. Owen was the opposite of my father. While Owen yells and screams power my father is a more quiet man and he radiates power. He doesn’t have to state his power like Owen does.            

            “If Estelle leaves, then I leave too.” Will says and the two stare at each other for countless moments.

            “This could ruin us Will…” Owen trails off and then he starts up again. “She could be a traitor! She could be playing you.” He states and I am appalled by two things. One, he is talking about me like I am not even in the room and two; he questions my affections for Will.

            “I’m no traitor to Will.” I say. I didn’t know how I became bold enough to speak. I was angry and I wasn’t the type of person to keep my mouth shut. Owen glares at me and I step away from Will which he doesn’t like at all but I wave his hand away. I didn’t need his help.