A Target

Anne and I eat lunch at a restaurant in town. It’s very busy and everyone seems to know everyone. Some say hello to Anne while other blatantly ignore here. It seems they are more afraid than anything.

            “You’re a good girl Estelle.” Anne says and I smile at her. We eat and I push my food around. I just want to go home at this point. I look at the clock on the wall and see that it’s pass twelve.

            After we are done eating we leave and head back to the cabin. I must say that it was good to get out of the house but I just missed my family that much more. I wanted to sleep in my own bed again at my own house with my father and mother down the hall. I know they did bad things that I didn’t agree with but I missed them terribly.

            At the cabin, I get out and head down the hall and up the stairs. In my room I see that Ronnie is sitting on the couch. I eye her as I shut my door. I take my jacket off and set it on my bed. I look at the clock—it’s only two. Didn’t she have school until later or something?

            “Hey Estelle.” She says. Ronnie smiles at me and then looks back at the papers in her lap. I wave and take a seat next to her.

            “What are you doing here?” I sound more hostile than I mean to be. I was just curious and if Ronnie caught my tone she didn’t show it.

            “I’m your body guard until the full moon is over.” I flip off the music from the stereo with the remote. I didn’t need a body guard—what if she got all crazy.

            “Look—the guys can’t guard you and none of the girls like you except Anne and Skye. Anne has other obligations and Skye is five. I am your best protection.” I nod and then start the music again. I sigh and rest my head on the pillow.

            “But it’s only Tuesday.” I say. The full moon was not until Saturday. I was good until then at least.

            “I told you things get all crazy from Wednesday on.” I nod and know that she mentioned it, I remember her saying that. 

            “What you do today?” Ronnie asks. I shrug my shoulders.

            “Nothing much.” I say as I put my hand over my eyes. I was getting tired again and I didn’t understand why. It wasn’t like I was doing anything. “Oh, I did meet Colton.” I say and I peek through my hands to see Ronnie’s reaction. She tenses.

            “And?” She says quietly.

            “Just as you said he was like.” I say to appease her. I didn’t think she would like it if I told her that Colton liked her and that he was her possible mate.

            “Ha. Told you.” She says before it goes quiet again. While she is doing her homework, I start to take a light nap. Just to rest my eyes and I pray that I don’t have any dreams.

            I wake up to Will’s blue eyes peering into mine. I close my eyes again briefly and then open them again. Will sits back and I stretch out. Even though I slept, I still feel very tired. I yawn and sit up.

            “You seem tired lately.” Will notes. I smile lightly at him. Will didn’t need to worry about me. I’m sure that it was only because of the stress.

            “I’m fine. How was school?” I ask Will. He shrugs his shoulders as if it’s unimportant.

            “Boring. I missed you.” Will says and I smile. I rest my head in his lap and Will strokes my head. I could stay like this forever with him.