Working Things Out

I stopped having that dream where my father wants Nick to do something for him which only meant that it happened. Whatever my father asked of Nick, he was going to do it. He had no choice but to do so. I had to get a hold of Nick to get information. I could call my number that was now his, but not from the island. I couldn’t risk anything.

            Of course reaching Nick wasn’t my only problem. I have been avoiding kissing or doing anything “intimate” with Will. I was too afraid that I was going to make a fool of myself again. Will might have forgotten all about my incredible awkwardness but I didn’t. I was still embarrassed about it and Ronnie wanted details but I told her nothing happened. She doesn’t believe me.

            It is a Friday night and I don’t plan on staying in tonight. I have to take matters on Nick into my own hands before they become a problem. I was going to make Adrik take me off the island and into town. He didn’t ask questions, but he was rather excited when I told him. I like Adrik for the most part. He was nice, but he didn’t like that fact that I talk to Dimitri who was deathly afraid of Adrik and his gang.

            I lace my boots up and slip on my leather jacket and a heavier jacket over that. I pull on my gloves and slip my new cell phone into my bag. I pull on my grey knit cap and then head out of my room just to run into Will. He grabs my waist to steady me and I quickly move away.

            “Where are you going?” He asks, eyeing my bag. I smile lightly at him. My heart was sinking in the inside because every time I look at him, I just think of how much of an idiot I was.

            “I asked Adrik to take me into town. I need to call Nick.” I say. He gives me a concerning look. I was trying my best to not lie to him anymore. It was really hard.

            “I could come with you.” He says. I am torn in two. I want him to go with because he was my man and I love him, but then I just didn’t want anything to be awkward if he came along.

            “Sure!” I say a little too high-pitched. He leans in to kiss me and I go still. Will pulls away and frowns.

            “Give me five minutes.” He murmurs. I nod and watch him go upstairs. I sigh and lean against the door. What was wrong with me?

            “Stelly?” I see Skye coming over by me. I smile weakly at her. She pulls on my fingers and I lift her up.

            “Why are you sad?” Skye whispers in my ear. I look at her with a genuine smile. Skye had to be the sweetest and most adorable child ever.

            “Grown up stuff.” I say. Skye frowns at me.

            “I’m a grown up!” She whines and I roll my eyes. Skye was really headstrong especially when it came to showers and being called a child.

            “Skye, your five years old. I am seventeen.” I say. Skye smiles and I put her down because Will is back, dressed in warmer clothing.

            “I’ll see you later Skye.” She waves and Will shoos her off towards her room.

            Will and I head down to the docks in a car that belongs to Sokolav. There I see Adrik standing by a smaller boat—way smaller than the one we take to school everyday. I get out and Will holds my hand as we approach Adrik. He eyes Will.

            “I thought you were coming alone?” Adrik asks. Will’s eyes harden and I can hear the low rumbling in his chest. I squeeze Will’s hand.