A Vision of Warning

Will gives me a tour of the house but I know that if I am alone, I will get lost. The only thing that I remember is how to get to the room I am staying in. We end up in this huge gourmet kitchen and Will grabs one plate for me and another for him. On the stove are plates of warm food and we fill our plates up. I think we are going to eat in the kitchen but Will takes me through a door and that is when I am in the dining room.

            It is the biggest dinning room I have ever seen. The dining table is the length of the massive room and I am pretty sure it can hold more then seventy people. A huge chandelier hung above and a fireplace was against the wall. The room looked so regal compared to anything I have ever seen. I feel in awe but that all disappears when my eyes land Will’s family. All of Will’s sisters are there and everyone is staring at me—Owen is glaring. My stomach drops and Will puts his arm around my waist. If his hand wasn’t there, I would have run.

            “Good morning Estelle. Please sit.” Anne says and I sit next her and Will takes a seat next to me. Skye smiles and waves her little fingers in my direction. I just smile back and then look down at my food. I eat it slowly and it is silent. Loraine looks as if she wants to kill me.

            “So Estelle, we will need a list of things you need for school. I will have Ronnie pick those supplies up for you.” Anne sounds so motherly and I nod once. Owen slams his silverware down on the table.

            “That is enough Anne! Nothing is certain at this point. The Senate meeting is on Wednesday. We might not all come to the decision to spare this girl’s life and let her stay.” He says with malice. They were deciding on whether I would live or die also? I look at Will and he put his hand on my thigh under the table.

            “Well we all know she is going to become part of this family or at least Will and I know.” Anne says not even looking at Owen. She was very resilient with Owen. Nothing he said made her quiet. I like that quality about her.

            “Is she now? I didn’t know you made all the decisions around here.” Owen says. I hate creating such tension between Will and his family. Anne nods and smiles at me.

            “Well it seems I am the only one that can make the right decisions.” Anne says and Owen just shakes his head. As I eat, Skye continues to smile shyly at me and I can’t help but smile. Soon, everyone slowly leaves the breakfast table until it is just Will, Skye, and I.  

            “What day is it?” I ask.

            “Monday.” Will says and I have a mini heart attack. Will was going to school and I was going to be all alone in the cabin with Owen roaming about.

            “Don’t worry. I have classes until noon and then I’ll be home.” I nod. Sometimes I forget that Will is two years older than I. He went to college and I was still in high school. “Skye will keep you company until I get home.” I nod but I don’t feel entirely comfortable. Skye was just a five year old girl. Apparently she had afternoon kindergarten so when Will got home she would be leaving for her own version of school.

            “Come with me.” Skye says taking my hand. She has quite the grip for a little girl—but then again, she isn’t human. Will smiles as she practically drags me away. We go upstairs to her room. It is really pink and she has this fairytale bed. She lets go of me and run to the bed. She jumps on it and I finally crack a smile. I look around her massive room and see toys everywhere. She has a huge drawing board plastered on her wall. Part of it is dry erase and the other half is a chalkboard.