Completely Fooled

Getting outside the castle was no easy task. I ended up sneaking down to the first level. I figured out I could just walk out the front door but as I neared the huge doors, I saw more hunter’s stationed in the entryway. I went towards the back, but I did not want to go by the ballroom again so I turned around and   quietly walked to the west side of the castle where the  sunroom was—or more like a terrarium. The glass room was filled with plants and the smell was simply intoxicating. I go into there and easily slip out the door and onto the rocky path that led to the beach. I took that path down to only be on the safe side. I did not want anyone spotting me, but if they did, the walkie-talkie would surely let me know.

                I prop myself in the sand at the top of the dune. Most of my body was covered as I was laying behind a rock. I had the perfect view of all the houses. I count each one and then how many hunters. It seems that the hunters were making sure that nothing would go wrong—they meticulously planned this evening out. There are exactly twenty-one houses, some houses only have one hunter standing outside. The most was two. I could do this.

                I didn’t know what snapped inside of me, but I felt this instinct to protect the packs. I felt a need to save what was mine. I just felt like if I didn’t do this, I wouldn’t be honoring Will or anyone who has risked their life for me. My brain was whirling.

                Pack. Pack. Pack. Protect. Protect. Family. I shake my head hoping the thoughts would disperse, but they didn’t. I don’t like how anxious and alone this situation is making me.

                Once I pick the first house which is closest to the beach, I get up and carefully crouch over to the structure. There is a pain in my side, but it is dull because of the medicine I took. I didn’t even want to know what it looked like. I ignore the pain as I near the house. The hunter was standing in front of the front door. I sneak up to the side of the house and I get my bow and arrow ready. I pull the arrow back and take a deep breath before I make a clucking noise.

                I wait a few moments, but sure enough, the hunter comes around the corner of the house. I let go of the bow and it whizzes through the air only to hit the hunter square in the shoulder. He goes down and I quickly knock him out by hitting his head with the butt of my gun. I didn’t want to kill anyone I didn’t have to. As long as they were out of the way—it would be fine. I literally run inside the house and was massively relieved to see the family of five unharmed, but they are in those silver chains.

                “The key?” I ask them. The mother points back out the door. The children smile with awe at me, like I was some sort of hero.

                “They are with the hunter.” The father of the family says. I nod and go back out to the side of the house. I grope the hunter for any sort of key. I find one deep in his pocket. I go back inside after I turn his walkie-talkie off. He would be out for some time.

                “They are looking everywhere for you.” The mother says while giving me a hug. I nod once—I still had twenty more houses to deal with. I could use some help.

                “Are you good with a gun?” I ask the father. He gives his wife a look and she takes the kids upstairs. He nods at me. I take the semi-automatic out of my holster and screw on a suppressor that would make the gun-shots silent. I hand it to the man.

                “Thank you Estelle. I’m Elijah.” I shake his hand. I saw him before at pack dinner once. Sokolav appointed him as the man who managed the all transportation on and off the island. He basically chose what boats and cars to buy.