The Great Escape

Friday morning, I got up two hours earlier and packed all of my clothes, shoes and other important things like my laptop. I hid the bags in my closet. I figured that we would leave late tonight. The only problem was that my father and my mother were very light sleepers. I would have to drug them one way or another. 

            I eat breakfast and then head to school. I feel on edge and extremely nervous. Things can go very badly tonight but this is what needs to happen. I have to get out of this life where I am controlled and apart of something that I don’t believe in. In my biochemistry class, I see Phoebe sitting at her desk. I am glad that she is back at school.

            “Hey.” I say sitting next to her. She smiles slightly.

            “Hi Estelle.” She says. “Oh and before you ask, I was just sick.” She adds and I smile at her. I was glad she wasn’t just ignoring me though I am going to no longer be talking to her after today. I couldn’t talk to her or she might be suspected.

            “Phoebe, I just want to say that I am glad we became friends.” I say and she eyes me with speculation.

            “Okay—what is with the sappy attitude?” I shrug but then laugh a bit. If I could just tell her everything—if I could just tell her I was leaving to never return.

            “It’s nothing. I just wish we could have been friends longer than a month.” I say and Phoebe tries to hug my even though there is a huge space between us. I laugh and smile at her.

            “You’re acting weird. I don’t like it.” She says and I shrug. She would understand later when I stopped showing up to school next week.        

            Today, I actually paid attention in class and I even took notes, though it was unnecessary. I wouldn’t be tested on this stuff anytime soon. Who knew if I would continue my education? I wanted to do something in criminal justice but I don’t know if I would ever get the chance to pursue such a career path.

            “Hey there.” Nick says walking up next to me. I smile at him. It was nice to get to know Nick. I think he’s a pretty decent guy, as long as he doesn’t stick himself with people like Amanda Stiles. Nick puts his arm around my shoulders and for once, I allow it.

            “Hey. So when are you giving me your phone?” I ask. Nick takes it out of his pocket and hands it to me. I take the smart phone and look at it.

            “I took the liberty in deleting and entering some numbers. Everything is cleaned off it. Now hand me yours.” I sigh and hand him my phone.

            “It’s been blowing up with text all morning.” I say and Nick nods.

            “I know. I gave everyone my “new” number.” I roll my eyes but smile. Nick is a genius but what happens if my father cancels the phone or something because why would he continue to pay for a phone that “nobody” was “using”. I guess we could figure that out later.

            “I hate to say this but I think I am actually going to miss you.” I say to Nick. He gives me a belly laugh and I smile at him.

            “I’ll miss you too but we both know your going to at least call me now and then.” I nod and I mean it. I had to keep Nick updated and he had to keep me updated as well.

            “Yeah, as long as my father doesn’t figure you and me out.” I say. Nick sighs and we stop in the middle of the hallway. I was leaving and I wouldn’t see him again. Not until he would leave after he graduated or something like that.