XIX

XIX

Samantha had this constant feeling that someone was following her. As soon she stepped out of the office and went her way to the parking lot, she thought she had heard footsteps, not very far from her. With the kind of sound that was echoing, she could guess it was the sound of boots. A heavy heeled boot and it definitely gave the impression that it doesn't belong to a woman. 

As the sound appeared to come closer, she turned to look at the person, but only that there was no one. As if the person had disappeared in thin air or that her ears were ringing that sound. Thinking it to be the later, she hurried towards the exit to her car parking.

She fumbled with the key to open it quickly, slipped in and locked the car. Letting out a deep breath, she rested her head on her steering wheel. 

A slight knock on the car window startled her and she looked up in terror to confront the person. 

"Oh, Sally," she sighed in relief.

Sally motioned her hand as she spoke something to her. Unable to hear behind the closed window, Samantha glided it down. 

"Oh girl. With a heel of that height, you sure walk fast." Sally's words came out in short pent. Taking a deep breath, she continued. "You forgot to take this." She gave her a small box. She also handed her the identity card and parking pass ticket too, but Samantha was curious to know about the box.

Getting out of her car, Samantha took the sealed packet and inspected it. 

"Are you not going to see what is inside this box?" Sally enthusiastically questioned. 

"Umm....I'm opening it," Samantha spoke, as she tugged at the cover of the box. "Meanwhile, you can tell me what is in here, anyway." She let out while trying to pull the cover out of its way. 

"Nah, what's the fun then."

"Oh yeah." Samantha's voice was thoughtful.

Samantha took out the content and jiggled them in her hand. And before she could ask, Sally spoke.

"This....," Sally spoke and lifted the key from her hand among the other items. "....is the key to your office."

Samantha's ears perked up, but before she could respond, Sally continued.

"And....." Sally kept the key back and picked the next item. As she was explaining, she pulled Samantha away from her car and lead her to the next row of cars besides hers. 

Standing in front of the next row, Sally pressed the button and the central lock system opened the middle car. Samantha thought about the car and she almost envisioned herself owing something like this in future. Oh, how much she missed her racing car. But more than that she missed driving it. If only she could get it back and get that life back. 

"And this is your car." Sally walked towards the driver's door and opened it for Samantha. 

Samantha looked directly at her eyes as if whatever she had heard was obscured. 

"Well......" Sally closed the door when Samantha didn't make any move. She was glued to the floor. 

Sally raised her eyebrow at Samantha. 

"For one, you surely don't look surprised. And two, for a racer to stand there and ogle at the car......... didn't fit my definition of crazy. So, if you stop admiring and step in, I can go on with the rest." Sally pointed towards the items in Samantha's hand. 

Samantha was more than surprised. You don't know what will this ca be once I sit behind those wheels.

Sally tugged her hand and pulled her towards the car, but Samantha stopped her and spoke.