I

I

EIGHT YEARS LATER...... 

Samantha was sitting by the corner booth of the restaurant and enjoying the rain. The glassed walls, gave a scenic view of the road and her busy neighborhood. The thick water droplets from the heavy rain, were hitting the glass pane, making a distinct noise, shutting out all the surrounding voices from the restaurant.

She enjoyed the rain, and yet  enjoyed it more, when she got to feel it . But Lily always warned her about the cold and fever that followed later, which kept her childhood days from enjoying it.

She had her book dog-eared and placed in front of her on the table. She had strained her neck enough for the day already. Firstly, because she had glued her eyes to the computer screen, searching for latest opening in companies that would hire a young lawyer. Secondly, her eyes had to exercise a little more tallying the accounts of the restaurant. So, this was a much needed break. 

She supported the side of her face on one hand, and looked outside, leaning over the table. Samantha had already done her household chores and helped Lily in the kitchen and shorted the grocery stock for the weekend. 

Now, I can relax.

Generally on weekends the restaurant had a decent crowd, that kept the staff, including her on her toes. That left hardly any time to breathe. Taking orders, delivering door-step order on time, managing take-away....the list was unlimited.  

But today the busy and crowded place had a stale look due to the heavy rain. It had been like this for the last two weeks. Due to the rain, the business had hit low and there are very few passer-by, that Lily was already attending to. 

She scanned the area as soon her father's word rang into her ears. If this continues, then very soon it will sent us packing.

But Samantha had plans and that had to work. 

She knew that this was not permanent and soon thing will change. They have been through a lot. They had been on the rough side of life once. Together they had picked up all the straws and build up a beautiful life. And she would not give it up so easily. I'll fight for it, dad - had been her answer.

Agreed, life was not fair to them. But that phase had passed. This shall pass too. This was just another hurdle to cross.

She took a deep breath, turned around to find, Sean sitting across the booth. His eyes trained on her with a puzzled expression.

God, what's with him now? 

 "So, what it's going be like?" He asked.

She shrugged and ignored him. 

She knew that Sean was as worried about the restaurant as she was now. But she doesn't want to sound like one. The question was generated as a concerned for the restaurant, but she was not ready to talk about it. Not to him. 

Sean waited for her to reply, looking straight into her eyes.

In last five years, he knew all her reactions and could read all her expressions. He also knew that she was good diverting the question or be totally ignorant about it.

But that's not the case today. She looked dull and tired. Stress lines were seen around eyes and her face had missed the sunshine effect. He had not seen her like this. 

He wanted to pull her close to his chest and smoothed those lines, from her face.

Friends remember. She had always being so insistent on that word, Sean wanted to maintain that too. He was happy with whatever he was to her, a friend. She trusted him and confined her darkest fear, so he felt lucky to be the one who was close to her.