XVI

XVI

"Ian!" 

He filled out the bench and sat at the other end of the bench. 

"Not able to sleep?" She inquired, once he got his place away from her.

She watched him for his response to her query.

He nodded.

"Should I dare ask, why are you here when you should be resting?" he asked, but his eyes were aimed in front following the lunar time period as it rise and fall, racking up the shore and gave back.

"Oh, not you too." She was bored of being kept under twenty-four hour surveillance.

"You know right, you should not be here," he asked. Knowing her, he knew she never liked to nursed as a sick. She always had hated to be confined to the bed.

"You know be better than this, Ian. When did I ever take doctors advice?" She reminded him. "And moreover, I have had a bigger accident with worst wounds, then this," she paused to look at him as she mentioned about their past.

Next to her, he went stiff. Memories of their past flashed in front of him. 

"This can be passed on as a minor prick in my finger," she added.

Ian flinched when he heard her mentioning about her past accident records, filled with unrecognizable scars and injuries.

"Who would know them better than me?" He replied.

She heard him loud and clear. The meaning behind his statement was like he had seen worse, experience worst and as if it pained him remembering all those things. Her heart constricted when she realized what it was for him to relive those incidences. Specially the one which changed their life forever. She skidded the bench and sat just an inch off from him.

She placed her hand closed to his, that was taking the bottom of the workbench. Slightly touching her little finger to his, she scooted closer when he didn't withdraw his hand away from her contact.

"You know I can't see you like this," he spoke suddenly, making her stop at her advances.

There was so much pain when he said that, her eyes almost became watery. He placed his hand on top of hers and interlinked their fingers. Lifting it in the air, he transverse the gap between them and drew her nearer.

She rested her head on his shoulder, still keeping a hold on his hand. She feared that he would remove her support.

He liked her warm feeling radiating from her hand. He didn't have it in him to let it go, but the stead they were in, had caught his hand in between, cutting blood supply. He tried to adjust causing her to move her head abruptly. But he was quick and wrapped his hand around her shoulder and pulled her head to its resting position, on his shoulder.

Silence fell into place and they both sat watching the ascension and decline of the tides on a lunar period. 

Ian's though she might have slept as she was so placid, he could count her breathing. He supported his chin on her head and took heed to her peaceful breathing.

Minutes would have perished. Hours would have passed. Neither of them spoke anything, nor moved an inch.

Samantha felt the peace laying her head on his shoulder. As if it was lulling her to sleep. The rising and falling of his shoulder with each breath was calming her nerves. But there was a fear in her heart. 

She feared that if she mentioned about the pain she had started to feel, he would take a firm stand that she go back to her room. And that would mean, she would have to leave the solace of his warmth and this wonderful moment. She was not ready to do that. Not yet.