XI

XI

Samantha had spent the entire week, mostly by taking care of the restaurant and spending time with her paralyzed father. Her work as a self-appointed manager, had kept her busy. She had very little time to think of Ian or Sean. 

Although, Sean had been helping her in the restaurant business, but he had kept his distance. He had only spoken to her once or twice, mainly a concerned discussion about the work and the day-to-day activities of the business.

Is he avoiding me? But why is he doing that?

On several occasions, she had tried to speak to him, but he had cleverly diverted her mind to less important things, making her forget, why she was there in the first place. 

She had her theories about it and also against it. But whenever she had approached him, he busied himself with customers.

Firstly, she was glad that, he was giving her time, away from him. It was a much needed break, from both the men, who had suddenly decided to show some kind of interest in her, unfortunately at the same point of time.So, being confused was mandated.

Why does everyone have to come now?

But as the days passed, she got more and more distressed. First, there was no sign of Ian, after that day. A part of wished, he would come, talk to her. But a part of her doesn't want him around. Being around him, had brought out those emotions and thoughts in her, that she had managed to entrap inside a black box. She had not been ready  to take that out. Second, it was Sean, who had acted like a complete professional co-worker, avoided her as much as he could and behaved like a complete stranger. She had never seen Sean like this before. Something had changed that night, after the movie and she could not pick it, why and what. Her judgement was clouded by Ian. Ian had also shaken her ground with his sudden appearance in her life. She was confused at what had gone into Ian's mind to behave like this the other day day. More for the fact that, he had kissed her. He had never done that before, let alone showed any affection towards her. When her mind was still reeling from that afternoon kiss with Ian and about her suppressed feeling towards Ian, when after the movie Sean had kissed her.

Oh, what's wrong with all the people?

Secondly, in all this excitement, she felt that loneliness seeping into her, when she at night, after a tiring day, she had no one to cuddle too. If her heart had an argument with the choices her mind make, then her mind was debating back when her heart raced at the thought of both these men. This had made her viciuos mind, to ran a horse race as all those inner turmoil kept her awake most of the night.

This went on for about three days. After she had, had enough, she cornered him one night, once their shift ended.

"What's wrong?" She demanded.

"Nothing" Sean said, disdainly, packing his bag to leave for the day.

"There has to be something wrong, otherwise you're not the one, to sit through the entire day without troubling me" She said and stepped closer to him.

"Well then, you're wrong. There is nothing" Sean looked at her eyes, before he said the next sentence. "I'm sorry, if I'm not spending enough time with you. It's just that I don't want us to feel awkward, you know.....after that day" He stopped midway zipping his backpack, to think about that movie date. A smile captured his lips, but as soon as it arrived, it went away. 

"I thought we were friends" She said.

"I'm your friend. Whenever you need me, I'll be there for you, but I feel bad for that day. I feel that I'm forcing you to make a decision, so I thought if I stay away from you, then it will be good for us" He said, rubbing his heel on the ground and his eyes trained on the ground.