V

V

Morning sunlight was beamed through her window, illuminated her room. She turned her head away from the window and tried to catch some more sleep. She slept well, but a Sunday always meant a extra rest. 

She woke up a little after eight and after finishing her morning duties, she went downstairs. 

Her morning staff was already on duty and restaurant was beginning to get crowded slowly - from early morning jogger, stopping after their exercises for a cup of coffee, regular taking away their order, singles stopping by to chat with their preferred choices. 

She spotted her father’s old friend, Mr. and Mrs. Watson, a regular in the restaurant. She waved at them and went up to speak to them.

 “Good morning” she greeted them together. 

“Good morning, girl” They said in unison.

 "Oh its Samantha" Mrs Watson recognised her. "How you been my child? I haven't seen you since ages?" She asked, suddenly remembering her absence for so many years.

 "Oh, come on lady, you met her a last week, remember" Mr Watson corrected her. "I think the old age is catching up with her" He whispered to Samantha. She giggled.

"Who is old here? I can still make that extra mile without any effort" She boasted.

"Yeah, not to mention the amount of rest in between" He teased his wife.

 Samantha listened to the older couple fighting like young children.

"What should I get you both" She asked when they both became quiet.

They both smiled at her. Samantha spoke again. 

“Let me guess, your regular strong coffees and the creamy doughnut with pancakes, isn’t it?” She asked them, already on her way to pick the order.  

They nodded. “You know us so well” One of them appreciated her memory. 

She went through the kitchen door and bought them their orders.

"Here you go" She handed them the take-away. 

Mrs. Watson hugged her, which she always does and tugged a loose strands of hair behind her ears. "It's always a pleasure seeing your smiling face in the morning" She admired the young girl. 

Samantha blushed and said. "The pleasure is all mine"

"And tell you mom, I'll send someone to pick up the cake later" Mr. Watson added. ,

"I'll tell mom about that" Samantha remember their granddaughter was turning one today and there was a big celebration at their house. 

"Oh, sweet, thank you so much. Tell her its not too urgent. I'll send Mia to get the cake later" Mrs Watson's daughter second Mia was here, to help them with the celebration.

Every year Lily had been making cake for their entire family and today it was no difference. The order was placed to them. 

"We should be get going, there are lot of things to do" Mr. Watson said. “Say Hi to James and tell him, we are up for a game of poker, tomorrow evening. I’ll come over and pick him up”. Mr Watson said while both made their way out.

Her father and Mr. Watson, were childhood buddie. Poker was their weakness. But damn straight they were the best poker players. Every Sunday or Saturday, they would have a get-together in either of their friend’s house with food and drinks of course, over a game of poker.  

She waved then bye and went in search of Lily. She found her in the bakery section, instructing the cook. Her hands were dipped in a bowl of dough that she was kneading.