Chap. 33

*Kylie*

"You just need to get out more ," I say, sifting through some cheap dresses. Where's all the designer shit they advertised?

Jess sighs, holding up a blue thong. "I am out."

"Fuck this store." I say, throwing the dresses on the rack and walking out with Jess. "Anyway, all I'm saying is you need to join some clubs or something."

"How the hell is joining clubs gonna get me a boyfriend?!" She yells, throwing her hands up in an exasperated manner.

"It won't." I say with a shrug. "It'll get you a start."

"They just need to start dropping from the sky," She says grasping at the air above her.

Out of nowhere, three police cars speed towards us with their sirens blaring. People stare as the officers emerge from the cars and I notice Jesse start to panic. They pull their guns out and aim them in our direction while hiding behind their doors.

"GET DOWN ON THE GROUND!"

One officer runs and slams us on the concrete with his gun aimed at our heads. "I SAID GET ON THE GROUND!"

Pain shoots through my chest as he handcuffs us and throws us into the back of his car.

I need to call Bryan.

"What's going on?!" Jess cries out.

"Shut your mouth!" The chubby ginger yells as he speeds towards the station.

The fifteen minute ride felt more like fifteen hours. We weren't aloud to talk and this bastard kept farting. Jesse wouldn't stop crying and I was about to get another taste of my lunch from earlier.

What could they possibly be arresting us for? I should press charges for the way they slammed us to the ground like that. Can I actually do that?

"LETS GO!"

The officer drags us out of the back and into the building. It smelled of baby vomit, musty feet, and prostitution. Not a good combination.

The ginger officer walked us to a cell that held three other women. "You'll be in holding until further notice."

What?! "You can't do this! We didn't do shít! How are you gonna arrest us and not tell us anything?! Isn't that illegal?"

He pushes us into the cell with a shrug. "Maybe."

"You can't leave us in here!" Jess screams, shaking the bars.

"Actually he can."

I turn my head towards an older woman sitting in the corner. "Why do you say that?"

She laughs, showing off her many missing teeth. "The police in this town are no good. They don't know how to do their jobs, so when they hear a rumor, they run with it and arrest all the wrong people."

"How do you know?" Jess asks. I give her a look and she shrugs.

"I had a son and I couldn't afford to live on the good side of town so I lived in the ghetto or whatever they call it nowadays. When my son was 4, I was robbed and the police heard it was a drug deal." She sighed. "They took my son and I haven't seen him in thirty-five years. I tried to get him back but I was under investigation and then eventually was arrested. After that I couldn't hold down a job so I panhandled and was arrested for that. It seems like they arrested me for anything after that and I've been in here my whole life. That's how I know."