Chap. 24

*Colton*

I dodge the blue heel Brittany chucks at me. "SHE'S A FRIEND BRIT!"

"Yeah right! How long will the lies continue Colton?" She asks. Another shoe flys towards me.

I walk over to her and kiss her softly on the lips before she can find anything else. She turns away and shoves me backwards. "I'm not falling for it this time, Colton! I'll be glad when Veronica, and that new guy she's been blowing, handle this!"

Wait what? I reach for her arm but she slams the door in my face and runs off. Shit!

***************

"Colton, put the salt in the water and then add the pasta," my mom says like she's talking to a child.

I do as she asks but when I go to pour the salt, the cap falls off and all the salt falls in the water. "Oh my god mom, I'm so sorry!"

My mom's boyfriend, Paul, walks in laughing. "This is why we don't let him cook."

My mom sighs and tries to scrape the salt from the pan but it's no use. The salt is dissolving and I add the pasta into the water, trying to fix it.

Apparently that wasn't the right decision.

"OUT! Both of you! Leave! Now!" My mom hollers.

I felt bad. My mom has a passion for cooking that she has always wanted to share with me and Jovie but both of us are terrible in the kitchen. Paul pats my back and chuckles. I nudge him away playfully.

"Don't worry buddy, she'll forgive you. Maybe not this year but she will," Paul says with a teasing smile.

Paul had been in my mom's life for seven years now. They'd been dating for four and couldn't be happier. I dream that one day I can find a woman as amazing and beautiful as my mother. She had me and Jovie at fifteen, so she's still pretty young, but that never stopped her from being the best mother she could.

Her and my dad didn't work out. They were young and thought they had to get married to give us a good life, but they realized after six shitty years that, that wasn't true. My dad moved to Seattle and me and Jovie stayed with our mom. He remarried and they're still together today. We visited our dad every two months and eventually Jovie wanted to stay but I didn't.

My parents ended on good terms so that made growing up in separate homes easier. They used to alternate holidays with us but after a while we all just came together and had one huge holiday.

"I hope I get to eat dinner tonight." I laugh while jogging up the steps. I had to warn Jesse to stay away from Veronica.

I burst into my room and drop onto my bed with a thud. Bright light emits from my phone as I scroll through my contacts.

Jess -C

Yes? -J

Something's up with Veronica and Aaron stay away -C

I planned on it -J

I poured all of our salt in my mom's pasta water -C

You're so random wtf I'll see you later -J

Ttyl bye babe 😘 -C

I decide to end things with Brittany. She's angry with me anyway and she looks kind of different. Not a bad different, just something's off.

It's over -C

You sure about that? -B

Before I could text back my door creeps open. "Knock knock. Dinners ready," My mom says.

"What's the point of saying 'knock knock' if you don't knock?" I ask annoyed. My mom's face goes sour.

"Well don't eat then you ungrateful turd!" My mom yells.

Oh dear.

My mom roughly grabs me by the ear, mumbling incoherently, and drags me down the steps.

"Ow! Ow! Ow!"

"Where's the pasta?" I ask confused. The table has one plate and a glass. The glass has milk and the plate has a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

"Who's is this?" I ask my mom.

She glares at me and then smirks. "Since you ruined our dinner you'll be eating a child's dinner and we're going out."

Jokes on you. I love peanut butter and Jelly.

A/N: Sorry for the short chapter
Anyway I love Colton's family
Not a horrible family or horrible family background
They're pretty normal
Anywhoo next chapter will be longer
Bye 👋🏽