Chapter Five

Chapter Five

Selene pushed a glass down to one of the patrons of the bar. She sighed and looked down at the champagne that sat under the counter. She was in the mood to grab a bottle and just tilt it straight back and let the drink hit her throat. After that exchange with Adrian and his family, she wasn’t exactly happy. She was the opposite, angry and highly irritated. She had almost thrown a glass of Vodka in a man’s face for trying to look down her shirt. Her emotions were running high and so far, she hadn’t caught sight of Adrian. That was a good thing for her because if she saw him, she wasn’t going to be accountable for what she did to him.

“What can I get you?” she asked the next person without looking up.

“A glass of Danis would be lovely,” the guy said.

She looked up at that. That wasn’t a drink that too many people ordered here. She had only had the pleasure of making it for herself on a few rare occasions. It was one of the only drinks that she drunk. It was a mixture of vodka, grapefruit soda and orange juice. The blend of the three left a slight citrus but tangy taste in the mouth. As she looked up her eyes met Zorro’s. She was slightly surprised. She hadn’t expected him to show up.

“Coming right up,” she said grabbing the three drinks and mixing them together.

She pushed the glass to him and he smiled.

“Thank you, mami,” he said.

“You’re welcome,” she replied.

He was the first person in the bar to thank her. She didn’t know why it shocked her but it did. She found a slight smile on her lips as she looked at him. She couldn’t lie. He was the first man to speak to her with such respect in a long time. Working in the bar she was used to men disrespecting her. Sometimes she fought because of it but most times she just ignored it and seethed quietly. Joe was lenient with her because he knew that she had a low tolerance for disrespect but most times he did all in his power to prevent the fights.

“So how’s your night going, mami?” he asked as she wiped down the counter with a rag.

She put the rag back underneath the counter and regarded him for a moment, her eyes looking into his light brown ones. “It’s going fine,” she said.

He arched an eyebrow. “Why do I not believe that? You look highly irritated and angry. Did one of the men in here do something to you?” he asked looking around at the men at the bar.

She watched as they all looked away hastily, a few even got up and left. She shook her head. Another man with power, even if it was a different kind of power than the power Andrew had it was still potentially dangerous. She wasn’t sure if she wanted to answer his question. She was tempted to rant to him about the arrogance of Adrian and his family. She didn’t have anyone who she really talked to. Besides it wasn’t as if he would be able to do anything about it. She had been fuming over Adrian and his family for the whole shift.

Three hours later she walked back to his end of the bar. He wasn’t the only customer left in the entire place. Joe had blown the air out of her sails, when he told Zorro that he could stay for as long as he wanted. It had been obvious to her that they knew each other. Joe had showed him some respect. She wiped the counter down spraying it with a disinfectant spray. She watched her hands moving the towel on the counter in a circle motion in the silence of the bar.

“Was there anything that you wanted?” she asked pointedly.

For a moment he was silent and she thought that he was deep in thought but he cleared his throat and she looked up. As she watched he rested his chin on one hand watched her intently. A brief smile lingered on his lips before he finished the last of his drink.