Chapter Thirteen

Sorry for the ridicously long wait for the uploads. Life gets kinda busy along with other aspects. But here's the chapter. Please let me know what you think and vote. 

Chapter Thirteen

Selene stepped out of the cab and took a deep breath as she slowly took in her surroundings. She wasn’t sure what to expect but she couldn’t help the chill that went down her spine as she looked around. Grains of sand and dirt crunched beneath her heels as she walked toward the lake. Lake Lucilla was rumored to be one of the dirtiest lakes in the city. Drug deals, murders and a variety of crimes were rumored to take place at the Lake. Most people feared coming near the lake, yet alone at this time of night. She was one of the few but she’d rather meet up with whatever creature this was and get it over with than to have weird creatures stalking her at her house.

Strange occurrences had been happening to her lately and she knew it. On some scale she was terrified that there really might be other things out there then just humans but on the other she had logical explanations for everything, except that shadow with the glowing red eyes and slithering tongue. There was no explanation of something like that creature. It forced her mind to take into consideration that there was a very likely chance that some of the paranormal creatures from books and TV shows may very well exist. It was only logical. People didn’t just create things like that from the top of their head. There was probably a little bit of truth behind every story.

If she had thought about this two years ago, let alone three then she would’ve taken herself to the nearest asylum and entered it ruthlessly. She wasn’t crazy and she knew she wasn’t seeing things so there was something going on beneath the surface and she knew it. If it was going to affect her then she’d have to find a way to deal with it. If it wasn’t then she had better things that she could be doing with her time. Like figuring out why the hell that shadow had accused her of being a witch. She didn’t deal with witchcraft. She didn’t use excessive candles, cast spells, or anything of that sort. The most random thing that had happened to her had all been recent. Her grandmother had believed in witchcraft but she’d never truly given her a reason to believe in it.

Sure her grandmother knew things that most other people didn’t know and she could make things rearrange and fit into her life but that was normal. She had been stubborn all her life, she’d been paranoid and done odd things up until the day that she died but did that really make her a witch or something along those lines? Had witchcraft been practiced in her family for generations just to skip her and her mother? Or was someone just playing mind games with her?

She sighed and looked at the lake with a grimace. The filth of the lake was noticeable. The murky brownish depths were visible from where she was. Paper, pop bottles, condoms and other things that she didn’t want to think about floated on the surface of the lake. She shivered and shook her head, folding her arms under her chest. It was silent and almost midnight and she was alone at Lake Lucilla of all places. She checked the pocket of her shorts for her razor blade, knife and mace. Feeling them there she looked around waiting patiently.

A few minutes later she heard muffled footsteps and quickly spun around toward the source of the noise. The footsteps came closer and she gripped the knife in her pocket tightly. She wasn’t sure what to expect. The shadow had been creepy and it said it had a master. How much worst could the master be than the servant? Would it be a shadow too or something else? Her rate sped up and she tensed waiting.

A shadow came into view, shaped like a human. A man stepped into view, next to him was the shadow from earlier. Her eyes flew over the man. He was shockingly not a shadow. He was flesh and blood. A gorgeous piece of flesh and blood, but human it would appear. For some reason that didn’t give her any more comfort than before. There was something about the man other than his looks that sent her hackles up and the hairs on the back of her neck standing up. There was something completely off about this man and she knew that it wouldn’t be a good idea at all to stay in his company too long.