1.9

Whoop! I updated! And, this one is long and cute and fluffy. Thank you, everyone, for their support on this. It's pretty much the only reason I'm continuing this. But, I did enjoy writing this chapter so it's giving me hope :)

Elena was panicking. Her hands trembled as she clutched her diary in her hands- one that she had kept when deciding to finally officially move in rather than just lodging. It had been three weeks since she had accepted all this and she still wasn't quite prepared for all the surprises that were being thrown her way.

Firstly, when returning home, Klaus had come with her but was also careful to avoid all other beings as well as hiding her too. The last time Klaus had talked to any of them hadn't ended well, well, for most of them anyway.

Second, once they returned home, Elena found her room completely redone, decorated to perfection- a replica of home in hopes to make her more comfortable. Klaus was still wallowing in the pride that he felt at her shocked face as she walked in and despite often spending time in each other's rooms, they were glad to have the privacy of their own room when needed. And for Elena to have her old room from back home was the perfect escape for her.

Then lastly, the day before, Klaus had finally asked her on a date. She was nervous at first. Klaus had a tendency to do lavish style over romance but after a day of contemplating, she was sure that he would take her tastes into account and despite liking a bit of money being spent, she wasn't one for uncomfortably formal occasions.

So, Elena sat in her room, brushing her hair, the midday sun beaming through the windows, wondering just what they were going to do tonight. Klaus had ignored her all day, clearly planning something and the only indication that this was happening at all was when Elijah had come into her room, about an hour before, saying that Klaus would be outside the front door at six o'clock on the dot. Although, knowing Klaus, there was a high chance that he would be 'fashionably' late. Despite this, Elena held out hope. Klaus seemed smitten, just as much as she was, and hopefully- with that in mind- he would decide to be punctual for once.

'Elijah!' Elena called, checking the clock once more, only just past twelve. A knock at her door was heard and she ushered, what she hoped was Elijah, in.

'Hello, Elena.' He spoke formally, no different to usual but that teasing glint in his eye made her theory evident. Elijah was in on Klaus' plan. Although she knew there was no way to get either of them to tell her what was going on, she could get clues.

'Elijah,' she nodded in recognition, 'do you still have some of Rebekah's dresses for tonight?' She asked, politely smiling. He nodded, motioning the door. She stood, brushing her hair behind her back, before strutting out the door. She smiled smugly, the first question planted and answered. If she was going to be wearing one of Rebekah's dresses, tonight would no doubt be formal. Rebekah wasn't one for subtle fashion.

After an hour of looking through hundreds of dresses, Elena finally found the perfect one. Long, black and sleek, a cut down the side to reveal her right thigh. She loved it and joint with the necklace that she had stolen from the jewellery box- a silver crescent moon- she couldn't have thought she looked more perfect. Although, self-doubt hit her. Maybe Klaus wouldn't like it...or maybe she had gone overboard. No, she told herself. He would love it, especially the necklace. She smiled at the thought.

Six o'clock came quickly and Elena felt less that prepared. She had her outfit on and her hair was styled just as she wanted- brushed and delicately flowing down past her waist. She gave herself one last look in the mirror and smiled to herself. She looked perfect, she told herself, if only to boost her esteem. With Klaus, she needed it.

She hurried down the stairs, her heels clacking against the hardwood noisily, alerting Klaus of her presence almost immediately- not that he hadn't heard her leaving her room with his annoyingly capable hearing. Elena stopped dead in her tracks when she reached the bottom of the stairs. Her eyes widened and her mouth hung open minutely. Roses, a lot of them. Scattered across the room, in vases, jars, even a few scattered on the floor. Candles burned throughout the room, illuminating the silhouette in the middle of the room. 'Klaus?' She asked gently, approaching the figure who was becoming more visible with each step.

'Hello, love.' He smiled holding out a hand for her to take. She obliged quickly, lacing her fingers with his- letting herself relax just slightly.

'Our date is here?' She asked, glancing around the room.

'Of course not, love. This is just the beginning.' He smiled proudly as she gaped at him. If this was only the beginning, she wasn't sure what else was to come.

-

Extravagant was the only word Elena had for the evening. Romantic, too, in some ways, enough to satisfy Elena, at least. It seemed Klaus had been paying attention to her but the overbearing theme of the evening was overtly extravagance. Klaus hadn't held back in the money department (or the compelling department either it seemed) when it came to the restaurant. A completely empty one. He had reserved the entire restaurant. To say Elena was nervous was an understatement but she enjoyed the food no less even without the familiar chatter of others when in a public space. It gave her time to think, a peaceful aura surrounding the place, even with Klaus in its presence.

When they left, only more surprises were to come. After the restaurant came the bar, then the ball and then, finally, home. Elena was glad not to be human anymore for once. She knew that without her supernatural abilities, her feet would be in agony right now. Heels are not good shoe choices for humans.

Elena smiled, both of them standing just outside the house, looking up at Klaus, marvelling at his ocean-blue eyes. 'Thank you.' She whispered, leaning infinitesimally closer.

'No need to thank me. I wanted to do this.' He whispered, both afraid to break the peaceful atmosphere surrounding them. They both smiled like madmen before closing in on each other. Their lips touched and fireworks exploded, Klaus' hands finding the small of Elena's back and pulling her up just slightly. It was perfect. Kissing under the warm lights with the sun having gone down hours ago and the moon high in the sky. A reflection of their wolf sides- the thing that brought them together, despite the pain it brought them too.

'Come on, let's get inside. We may not get cold but I'd rather not stand outside the entire night.' He joked, laughing quietly, Elena following suit. Klaus opened the door but before Elena could follow, the door slammed and locked shut. Something was wrong. Panic set in and before she could break herself in, the door was opened. Not by any person but by magic.

word count: 1202

published: 14.05.17