1.2

A/N Sorry this is late, I'm trying to update every Saturday but my schedule means I should be writing 1000-2000 words a day...*sigh*

The forest loomed over them, overbearing and casting shadows against their solemn faces. Klaus' and Elena's hands brushed each other's as they walked side by side, neither hand being grasped as the tension hung overtly in the air.

She had three hours, Elena had three hours and then, she would turn. Fear. That was all she felt, it loomed over her almost like the trees did above her head. They were heading for the Lockwood cellar where Elena would have her first turning. She wouldn't be chained but she would be supervised, vampires wouldn't leave the premises as Elena had told Klaus to promise that he would heal them, for her.

It seemed at this point, Klaus would do anything for Elena and despite their still underlying hatred of each other, something else was there.

'Elena, you're trembling.' Klaus murmured as their hands brushed each other once again. The others were now out of ear shots; leading the way was Tyler, followed by both Caroline and Stefan. Klaus and Elena lagged behind as her fear begun to shape into reality.

She didn't reply but her steps slowed. A few seconds later they were both at a halt. 'I can't.' Elena said no more. Klaus understood, he had gone through the same. It didn't matter how many centuries or millennia it was ago, he still remembered it: the agony.

Something inside of him said that her experience would be different because she would have help but it was a delusion. The pain doesn't just go away but he would do all he could for her because...he loved her. Maybe he didn't know it or maybe it wasn't quite there yet but soon, he would love her. He would love her so deeply that he would do anything for her. Anything.

He only had a few problems left on his plate. The curse, the witch and Elena. He had stopped caring about the rest of his life, about his enemies, he would do what he needed to do if it was for her and so he did. It could be his downfall, it could be his rise yet wasn't Klaus already the top of the food chain? It was undeniable that he was immortal, invincible. Nothing could kill him, or so it seemed.

'Elena, you can. You have no choice.' Klaus took a step back and brought himself to eye level. 'I'm sorry, I never wanted this to happen...but it did so we need to get through it. But, Elena, remember this: you have us and we'll be there the whole way.' He gave an eery smile, maybe it was just kind but Elena had never seen it before. Did she think that, maybe, it was supposed to be comforting?

She smiled back and wrapped her arms around his neck. 'Thank you, let's go.' She pulled away and the stared at each other for a few seconds, not moving as if all time had stopped.

They finally pulled away when the others turned back. Elena almost couldn't bare to look away, she was lost in his ocean eyes. Hoping it was a side effect of their bond, she broke away and ran to catch up to the others who were within a few steps of the cellar.

Klaus stood behind them, at least a couple metres, and stared at the ground, his mind buzzing.

He had never felt that before, that foreign feeling in his stomach, that feeling he had read so much about. Love. They called it love but wasn't it too early for love?

Elena, Stefan, Caroline and Tyler- not noticing Klaus' absence- went into the cellar and began preparations.

Soon, two hours, she would be a wolf and what they didn't know was, she would stay a wolf. At least until next full moon but Klaus could not change at will and there wouldn't be a problem in taking care of her but...who wanted to be a wolf more than a human? Humans were intelligent and, not that wolves weren't intelligent, wolves were animals. They were beasts to most of the populace of the earth.

Elena would have to turn into a monster...and stay a monster.

With Klaus still out of sight and Tyler off God knows where to find wood for a fire, it left Caroline, Elena and Stefan to themselves.

'We never thought this would happen. Why does everything go wrong for us!' Caroline exclaimed in her usual, moaning tone.

'It just seems that way, Care. I'll be fine, there isn't a flaw in this plan.' That was a lie. Just another one to add to the piling list of them.

'After tonight, I'll be a human again.' She smiled weakly but it seemed the others passed it off as fear but in fact, it was just another lie. And, just to top it off: 'I'll come back with you when it's all over.' The other stared at her in confusion.

'What about Klaus? I thought you two were unable to be apart.' Stefan asked suspiciously. Elena shrugged and continued on: 'I can keep Klaus under control, even lock him in the basement just to see you guys.' Another lie. She would never do that to Klaus, use their feelings to put the other in a cage.

Well, Klaus might but Elena knew it would be no different to when he locked her away without the bond.

She sighed when Tyler came back in the room, breaking the tension lingering in the air.

'Come with me, Elena. You guys stay back, you don't want to hear the details.' Tyler called out, motioning for Elena to follow him.

They entered the main part of the cellar, through the rusted iron bars, and locked it behind them. Klaus had a key to get in himself when the time came.

'Elena, I know you don't know much about this but I feel it's for the best. You've watched people turn and you've watched people who have done it a thousand times and the ease it comes with. Get through this one and it will be alright. You'll be human tomorrow.' Tyler smiled and Elena threw one back at him, little did he know just how close she was to crying. 'Klaus will be turning with you, he's already an expert it seems.' Tyler growled even at the mention of him but didn't seem to go any further.

'We haven't got long and you won't be using chains so everything should be done. I'll get Klaus down here, he has preparations to do himself.' Elena nodded, still unable to form words.

'Thank you.' She blurted without even realising. He did nothing but shrug and looked back at me, 'good luck'.

word count: 1117

published: 23.01.17