8.0

Klaus - Third -

Klaus was waiting for Elena, knowing it wasn't going to be long. Rebekah was still on the hunt for the witch. Klaus and her had an agreement; Rebekah would find this b**** of a witch and Klaus would kill her without a second thought. For now, Klaus would stay with her.

His life had changed so dramatically in the last month and he hated it. The almighty hybrid was becoming weak. He denied that he was in love with her, he probably wasn't but falling for her, he was. He hated the fluttery feeling in his stomach every time he looked at her. He hated how she looked in his eyes and saw everything. Before, it was only the bad but now, she pulled out the good.

He had only known her for a few days but in those few days, he had smiled more than he thought he ever would after his transformation into a vampire hybrid.

He wasn't stupid, he could see the positives of having a mate but he saw the negatives too. He was drawn to destroying those negatives but Elena, she wasn't just another thing he could destroy. In fact, he couldn't lay a finger on her with the intention of hurting her. Although, he didn't think he ever could.

Klaus looked at the clock, interrupting his long chain of thoughts, and saw that she only had an hour left. An hour to become human and only another 12 before she is a wolf. Klaus was a pessimist so it was no unknown fact that he thought they were going to fail this witch hunt before she turned. He had a plan though. A plan to make it painless as possible for her. He had destroyed too many aspects of her life and now, he was just destroying more. He was going to turn with her. Hybrids could turn by will. Unless, of course, a curse is placed on them. He could turn and teach her the ways of being a wolf, showing her the freedom that comes along with it.

She could hate him however much she wanted too when she became a wolf but he would do all in his power to protect and teach her. He would play his given role as alpha.

He had not yet talked to his small pack consisting of only ten members. They were all scattered across the world with no desire to see or talk to Klaus. Only one was nearby and only one could help his situation with Elena- Tyler Lockwood. Fortunately, it wouldn't be hard to get him to the mansion. He was coming to the welcome home party tonight, however unwillingly, and would be another pawn in my plan...as usual. He almost found it unfortunate that Tyler always seemed to get wrapped up in his plans but, forgetting Elena, he didn't care. But he could forget Elena, he did care and he hated it. He hated the horrible guilt built up over centuries that was flooding back to him. True, excruciating guilt. He withheld what he could but it was like knives were digging into his back, indefinitely,

Elena was strength and Elena was his weakness. He was his everything. He did love her, not yet romantically, but he did love her. He loved her like he loved his siblings. He would put her above all others until the day he died. He knew it wouldn't be long before she woke and his feelings would grow but for now he felt content with the friendship he had brought upon himself. That feeling of content was all that stopped him from the tempter tantrums and rampages that took up so much of his immortal life.

He looked down at Elena and cupped her cheek in his palm. 'I will protect you. As a wolf, as a vampire, I don't care. It doesn't matter where or when, I will protect you.' He smiled down at her and almost fell when she smiled back.

'Elena.' He breathed. She gently opened her hand and looked up at him.

'It hurts.' She croaked, clasping her neck. He nodded and put his wrist at her mouth.

'Drink up.' He whispered but she shook her head adamantly.

'It will revive you quicker. We are a pair now, just drink.' He ordered but didn't dare raise his voice at her. She leant up hesitantly and bit down onto his wrist. The familiar pain ran through his body but was quickly replaced by the usual pleasure of a vampire bite. Many said it was a taboo for vampires to drink from each other but with Elena, it felt nothing less than perfect.

She was quick to release his wrist and had the strength to sit up. 'Thank you, Niklaus.' He laughed quietly and sat beside her.

'Why Niklaus?' He asked.

'I wanted to call you something different without annoying you. I don't want to piss off a thousand year old hybrid. Even if they can't harm me.' She laughed and leant on his shoulder. He laughed beside her, trying to forget what was coming. However, nothing would expel it from his mind.

'I need to tell you something, Elena. You won't like it but please just here me out.' She nodded in confusion but I saw the curiosity burn in her eyes.

'What is it, Niklaus?' Her voice visibly calmed him but his tense muscles worried her. It didn't stop him from giving the news but the sad and pitying look on his face gave everything away.

'You have a curse on you, Elena. The curse of the wolf. We can't stop it, we can only prepare you. I'm sorry.' He paused before whispering, 'this is all my fault.'

word count: 958