1.8

Klaus followed Elena around for the next week. He always kept his distance but Elena could feel his presence behind her back. Why was he following her around? Pining, plain and simple. Klaus couldn't bear to take his eyes off her. It was true that since her coma, he had been wary but this was more than that. This was pure fear of someone hurting her.

Of course, there was no reason to be worried- no yet- she was strong, very strong and few things would be able to hurt her, for now. Still, they knew nothing of the witches they had just decimated and it was starting to tick Klaus off. He knew that a dead witch meant an angry coven and they could strike at any moment. So, he followed Elena around.

Still, there was no reason to. Their house was heavily guarded, almost too much and to get to Elena meant getting through Klaus. Even if Elena was spotted first, Klaus would be there in seconds, ready to rip the hearts from their chests. That meant there was no need to be near Elena even in the worst of situations. His mind told him differently.

Elena was beginning to worry. Klaus' presence almost made her believe that danger was around the corner and not only that, she feared for Klaus too. Klaus was paranoid by nature but this, he was almost at the point that he could be prosecuted for stalking.

'Klaus, for the love of god please-'

'Please what, love?' Klaus interrupted, slyly leaning against a pillar, a smile on his face. Elena spun on her heels, glaring, a glare meant to kill. She was fed up. She wasn't continuing to her room without clearing this up.

'This, Klaus. You know what, this.' She pointed furiously between them, a scowl etched onto her face.

'You mean this?' Klaus taunted, taking a step closer to her. She nodded aggressively and took a step back. 'So, I'm not allowed to walk then?' Klaus began to dig under her skin. He knew how to annoy her and in doing so, he was creating a perfect distraction for him and an excuse to stay close by. A plan carefully laid out, just like Klaus liked to do.

'Stop it, Klaus! You know what I mean!' She threw her arms in the air dramatically.

'Do I, though?' She glared at him, taking a step towards you.

'I am the only one on this earth that can hurt you without getting hurt in return. Do you really want to get the brunt of that?' She threatened, staring him up and down. He was unphased. Elena, although strong, tended not to fight unless it was necessary. These were empty threats.

He was right, he found, when she backed down, glowered at him and continued to her room, her cause lost. He wasn't going to leave her alone, she would just have to deal with it.

She stalked to her room, Klaus following closely behind her. She slammed the door behind her as she entered but that didn't stop Klaus from pushing it back open and peering in. 'Want company?' He smiled, he knew she knew this was all a game. A game that's aim was to taunt her. She shrugged nonchalantly and was unsure of what else to do as she sat on her bed, fidgeting with his fingers.

'Why are you following me, Klaus?' She asked once more, her voice more sincere than it had ever been- she had laid it down clearly and there was no roundabout answer to this questions. Klaus looked down to the floor, shrugging, seemingly fearful of answering. His face was still stern, though, his aura of power still gravitating around him.

'I just...want to keep you safe.' He admitted, his eyes finding hers in the almost darkness as the sunset outside the window. The room darkened gradually as the silence held. Sunset. The last rays of the sun peeked through the curtains, an ethereal glow filling the room.

'I'm not in need of protection, Klaus.' She sighed, standing up, approaching him carefully.

'I know.' He admitted, looking down to her. She reached up her hand to cup his cheek but withdrew it before it could touch him. Klaus looked down at the hand and cupped it with his own, encasing it with a warmth that Elena didn't think was even possible for a vampire. Maybe, being one herself too, her sense of warmth had changed. This wasn't real heat being radiated but the feeling he wanted to get across.

She looked up at him carefully, their eyes meeting once again. She smiled timidly as he returned a whole-hearted smile, so uncommon for him. She almost took a step back as she watched his face light up. She had seen him roar, cry, smirk, even a gentle smile but this was something else. This was a smile reserved for her and her alone.

She leant up, sending her balance onto the balls of her feet, reaching his height. She leant forward and pressed her lips against his. The sun had set and darkness had fallen and their lips were still upon the others.

Klaus pulled away first, his smile wider than before. 'Elena.' He breathed, at a loss for words.

'Klaus.' She smiled, wrapping her arms around his shoulders, burying her face in his neck.

'Is this? Are you?' For once in his a thousand years of living, Klaus was completely and utterly speechless. Elena understood, though. She nodded.

'Yes. I want this. I want us.' She was telling the truth. The realisation had hit her hard as she looked at him, the orange beams setting his skin alight. His hair turned to fire, his skin turned to a painting and his eyes became the sunset itself. He became her worst nightmare and her best dream. He became everything. In that moment she knew what she wanted. She saw what he was. He was beautiful, a beautiful monster, a beautiful mate.

He was all she ever wanted.

word count: 990 (it's short but I liked the ending too much to make it any longer)

published: 06.05.17