9.0

Elena-

I looked up at Klaus with a pitying look. 'Don't blame yourself. The witch did it on her own accord. She may have done it out of anger towards you but it was my choice to stay with you. I could have left, I could have blocked the pain...but I didn't.' I spoke, not realising the truth until the end of my short speech. Klaus relaxed as he brought himself closer to me. It was still slightly awkward between us. I mean, I hated him. He used me and I'm now lying on a bed next to him, about to turn into a wolf.

He didn't speak a word so I attempted small talk. Scraping for topics, I found nothing but serious conversation. So, I brought up the question that had been burning in the back of my mind. 'How long do I have?'

'Until the next sun comes up.' He whispered, cupping my cheek. I didn't move, seeking comfort in each touch. 'Elena, I will do everything I can to help you. I will go through the pain of turning if you want me to train your wolf. I would gladly do anything for you.' He spoke with such passion that I couldn't help but keep his words in my heart. I was too overwhelmed by his offer that I almost didn't hear him say, 'I would do anything for you.'

At that, I didn't care who he was. For now, he was my mate and I would do everything in my power to do what was right for him. On impulse, I hugged him and didn't make any move to let go. But then, neither did he.

'There's a party tonight. It's a welcome back but then...' He stopped himself but I knew the pain every time he talked of the curse. No matter what he said, I could see he blamed himself. 'Everyone's coming.' He gave a weak smile and cupped my cheek in his hand, stroking it with his thumb. 'Who?' I asked, ignoring my hands shaking nervously. 'Bonnie, Tyler, Damon, Stefan and Caroline.' He murmured, not sure of her answer but definitely didn't expect a tantrum.

With a burst of energy, I shot out of bed. 'The Salvatores! They'll kill you if they learn of us! You need to...I don't know, un-invite them!' I shot my hands in the air and went towards him. 'I know they can't hurt you but I don't want this party to be a disaster.' I slipped myself into his arms, feeling the familiar tingle in my skin that I got, or had got, around both Salvatore brothers. I ignored it and just held him tight.

'I can't just uninvite them, love. They're on their way. We won't tell them unless it's necessary, OK?' I nodded in agreement and turned away from him, leaving his arms in the process.

'Can I have some time alone...' I was immediately cut off by Klaus who placed his hand on my shoulder.

'I don't think that's best.' He whispered in my ear, making it harder to leave his arms.

'Please.' I begged him as I turned to face him. He nodded reluctantly and sped from the room, leaving me alone on my bed. I had until the sun came up, I had until then to enjoy my life. I knew nothing of this curse. In fact, I knew nothing of my werewolf side until very recently. Well, in my mind anyway.

I put my thoughts aside but was immediately targeted by memories of Damon. Stefan was involved in a few yet Damon seemed so fixated on destroying my thoughts. His beautiful face plagued my mind and his voice damaged my ears. We left on such bad terms. Well actually, we didn't leave on any terms. I just left. I couldn't take them anymore. They were probably speeding down the highway in desperate attempts to see me but I didn't care. Every thought of them made my body freeze and for me to shake slightly. I wasn't used to this heightened emotion, three months asleep can change everything.

I paused for a second to catch my breath only to be bombarded with more thoughts but these ones, these made me smile. I thought of Klaus. I didn't want to fall for him but I knew I was, maybe as a friend or maybe as a lover. I was just falling and I knew when Klaus got a hold of me there would be no escape. I hated that I didn't mind. Sure, Klaus was manipulative and cruel but he had other sides to him. Maybe they weren't prominent but from afar, you could see the glimmer of hope in his eyes or the insufferable sadness pooling in his mind. I wasn't sure if anyone else could see it, I was his mate after all but I felt like I must show him that if he only showed his emotions, the world wouldn't seem as cruel.

I didn't realise how long it had been until I heard a faint knock on my door. I mumbled at whoever was behind it to open it and I saw Klaus in all his glory...I really should stop thinking of him like that. He took a step at a time and reached me in his own time. 'Are you ready?' He asked quietly as if I was going to explode any second. I had never seen him be so careful with someone before.

'As ready as I can be.' I stood up, not realising just how weak I was. Immediately, my knees buckled but Klaus caught me before I was even close to me. 'I know you'll hate this idea because you're a vampire and you don't have long but... here.' He gestured towards the chair and helped me over. I was reluctant and was uncomfortable at the lack of strength I had. A vampire should never be weak and it seems that not only did the witch curse me but weakened me as well.

'Are you ready for everyone?' He asked, more gently than I had ever seen him. His eyes were so soft and I felt drawn to him. I leant back in the wheelchair, resisting the urge and nodded quickly, hoping to get out of the room.

I turned the chair myself before Klaus came to my aid and wheeled me into the corridor and to an elevator that I had never seen before. I turned my head and gave him a look that told him only 'when the hell did this get here?' but he just shrugged and pushed me inside.

'What happened to the witch?' I blurted as I tried to push down the fear of seeing my friends, especially in my state...especially since I left them.

'She's being hunted. Elijah has found a lead and is followed it...' He paused before muttering, 'but that's what Rebekah said.' Even in my weakened state, I heard but didn't question as I knew that if he was on bad terms with Rebekah it would be worse to bring it up.

Slowly, the elevator landed on the ground floor and Klaus wheeled me out to a room towards the centre of his home...our home, I guess. All my friends were waiting, the ones that were left anyway. They looked shocked as they saw Klaus caringly wheel me towards them. He leant down and whispered 'have fun' in my ear before speeding out, leaving me alone to deal with the wrath of them all. I desperately wanted Klaus to return but he was oblivious to the fact that I hadn't left knowingly. He could only have assumed that they pushed me away. I wasn't even sure he knew of so much of my past. I knew one day, though, I would tell him it all. We were bonded now and not to tell would only lead us to fight and if I was stuck with him for eternity, it would be on good terms.

'Hi.' I whispered to my friends, earning glares from some and relieved smiles from others. Glares most obviously coming from Damon and an odd amount of relief radiating from Caroline.

Caroline was the first to step forward and sped to me, crushing me in a hug. This reunion could bring up so much hurt but one simple gesture pushed me to hope for the best. Maybe not from all but from some was enough for me. They were all I had left and for a vampire, love was the only thing that motivated you to live- friendship or otherwise.

'I missed you.' She whispered, knowingly hiding what she was about to say. I raised an eyebrow and she leant into my ear, whispering even more quietly. 'Seems you had no reason to judge Klaus' and I's time together. You two seem...close.' She joked but I could see the question that she was begging to reveal.

'I'll tell you later.' I whispered, seriously but laughed to put the others off as if she had just told a joke. I hated hiding but for this to work, lying would be the topic of the evening.

word count: 1530