1.4

Elena and Klaus made their way out of the door together, Klaus trailing behind her as if guarding Elena against the danger that wasn't apparent- paranoia, a speciality. The moon reflected off them gently as they made their way into the dark, cold night. There was no chance of anyone being near except Caroline and Stefan who wouldn't be here for much longer.

Without reconciling with Elena, Klaus left behind a tree and turned back into his human form, slipping on clothes he had stored for this occasion. 'Stefan, Caroline, we need to talk.' Klaus stated, approaching them, Elena at his side who seemed to be doing her best not to attack them.

Klaus crouched down and petted Elena's fur, soothing her almost immediately. She focused on the sensation as Klaus looked up at the two vampires above him. 'There are things we haven't told you.' He stopped for a moment, letting his hand just glide through Elena's fur. He wasn't afraid of the two, weak vampires but there was nothing he could do to stop them if they were angry, he was Elena's mate, he could not allow himself to hurt her friends.

'Elena has a curse on her. One that not even the mating bond can prevent. She is now a wolf...she will not return to a human state until the next full moon. When that sets, she will be a wolf again.' Klaus tried not to drag it on, bracing himself for an onslaught. But, both stood still. They didn't seem surprised, they simply sighed and crouched down to meet Elena's eyes level.

'You should have told us, Elena.' Care spoke softly, knowing Elena could do nothing but focus on where Klaus was stroking her. 'We'll find a way to fix this or Klaus will. We're resourceful.' Caroline smiled and Stefan mimicked her actions whilst Klaus simply examined them carefully.

They had not done anything irrational or irate. They simply stated their determination for their friends. They had been so much that they had learnt that panic was never the way to go about a situation. In a situation like this, it was best to keep a calm head and focus on the task at hand.

Stefan finally faced me. His voice was calm and collected, 'Klaus, you have your men on it, don't you?' Klaus nodded, reassuring the two vampires.

'You should go.' Klaus shooed them away. 'I hate to be rude but Elena is starting to fidget.' He looked down at Elena who was squirming under the pressure Klaus was putting on her to keep her still.

They both nodded, making their away quickly when Caroline turned around, 'You're always rude, Klaus.' With that, they left and Klaus and Elena were finally alone. Klaus, without a seconds thought, was back in his wolf form and was nuzzling his nose into Elena's fur, instincts were taking over both of them.

Elena hummed softly, Klaus burying deeper into her side. They were Ying and Yang, a mix of black and white with their faces contrasting both themselves and each other.

The smiled in a way that only wolves could and found each other's eyes once again, only broken when Klaus licked Elena's nose- a form of kiss. Elena bowed her head but met Klaus' eyes again before licking his in return. They both barked and Elena quickly ran away embarrassed but found herself less than a metre away when Klaus playfully leapt and found himself on top of her wolf form.

They both barked loudly, play fighting, Klaus obviously stronger than Elena. It was clear now that Klaus would never hurt Elena and even if he tried, because of the mating bond, he couldn't. They continued in this way for hours until they were both too run down to move another inch.

They found a large enough tree to be comfortable under and curled up into each other's sides and closed their eyes, planning on sleep. Although, for both of them, that didn't seem to be possible. They were fatigued but it seemed that sleep just wasn't in their grasp.

'Are you okay?' Klaus whispered, the voice echoing around Elena's head. Elena immediately shot up, her legs aching under her weight.

'How can you do that?' She asked, making eye contact once again.

'Wolf communication. I withheld it from now, I didn't know how you would react.' The sensation blew her away, the feeling of the voice only in her mind, never reaching her ears was too odd to call nice yet to satisfying to call uncomfortable.

They both lay down, as close as ever, trying to warm themselves in the cold night. 'I'm sorry this happened.' Klaus said, shutting his eyes, willing sleep to take over him.

'Stop saying sorry. I don't want you to... change. Well, the killing... maybe but sorry... it's so not...you.' Elena rambled on, unable to find the proper words. Klaus' laughter rang throughout her head.

'It's your fault, love. All your fault.' He teased. Elena was taken aback, it was a rare occasion to see Klaus smile a smile that wasn't sadistic but that laugh, it was so pure. Elena loved it. Just as Elena was beginning to love him.

It was clear to them and all around them, no matter how much they denied it, that they loved each other. It always seemed to come back to that. A mating bond happens for a reason whether it is love or not is a different matter but a connection must be made and so one had.

Soulmate is such a strong word but it doesn't mean it is not possible. Just like love, it is misused and said without hesitance but that does not mean that it doesn't exist, it simply means that it is hard to find. Everything good in life is hard to find. Where would the fun in life be if it were easy?

For this reason, two wolves were now sleeping comfortably under the moonlight, smiling to themselves as they realised just how perfect this was. In that moment, the curse didn't matter nor did their problems or their hatred. They had each other and for now, that was all they needed.

word count: 1019

published: 04.02.17