1.7

A/N Months later and I'm finally updating weekly! Sorry for some of the filler chapters. I need to update them until I can get back on track with the actual story so bear with me!

Elena's mind was muddled. She couldn't tell what was right or wrong anymore. Most likely because of the man by her side. She was the mate of a monster. Was it turning her into a monster too? No, loving a monster didn't make her one herself. Yet, that thought alone, made her stomach churn. In love. She had been in love before, Stefan, even Damon. But, this was a mating bond. This was all the more powerful. Yet, she was more resistant than ever.

He had kissed her too. Kissed her. What was she supposed to say to that? She felt repulsed that she had let him do that, that he had even gotten close but she knew it would have gone no other way. If she hadn't wanted it, Klaus would have been thrown against a wall by now.

That didn't she was ready, not by a long shot, or so she thought. She couldn't be so sure anymore.

She clambered out of bed, she hadn't talked to Klaus since he had kissed her- nine days, to be exact. She hadn't bothered to leave her room, opting to simply stare at her bedroom wall and rot. It was clear now that the bloodlust was getting to her. Even as a hybrid, you need blood, and her thirst was affecting her badly.

Her veins were protruding from her skin and her fingers were beginning to twitch. All because of a little blood. It disgusted her. She never wanted this. Despite the warnings, she never thought the bloodlust would be like this. Painful. Agonising.

No satisfaction came out of drinking it, either. That's what most vampires lived off- the satisfaction of the feed. But, Elena only felt sick. Still, she knew she had to feed. It was inevitable. 'Klaus!' She called out, feeling too weak to leave her sitting position. Within seconds, Klaus was at her door, wide-eyed and worried.

'You look terrible, love.' He gasped, the jokey insult turning into much more. She nodded defeated and with the energy drained out of her, she didn't even try to speak, simply motioning to her mouth. Klaus understood immediately and rushed out, leaving Elena panting and sweating as it hit her harder than it had done for the last week. She felt as if she couldn't breathe. She knew she would not die like this but that made it all the worse. She could stay in this agonising pain forever.

Klaus came back quickly, more than enough blood bags in his hand. 'Here.' He almost sounded tired as if the panic had put him at a loss for breath but it was clear that he was fine as he strode over to her and brought the first bag to her lips. She drank greedily, forgetting her prior disgust to the glorious taste of the blood. When the bag was away from her lips, she felt the disgust return and her stomach churn but she kept it down- at least just to harbour the pain.

'I'm sorry I let myself get to this.' She mumbled between gulps of the next bag.

'It's fine, Elena, I didn't do the right thing. I moved too quickly. This is my fault.' That self-blame. It seemed so common in him now. Elena hated it. Even a monster shouldn't blame what someone else did on themselves. They should only confess to the acts of harm they have caused.

'Don't blame yourself, Klaus. We both have a part to play in this. I forgive you so it's over, okay?' She asked calmly, the blood coming back to her face as she threw the last bag to the floor. He nodded, smiling weakly. Klaus really was breaking because of this girl. Without her, he was the strongest man in the world. With her, she placed just above him.

He was screwed and he knew it.

Love meant failure and he was so clearly, definitively in love. In love with his mate. The mate he couldn't be sure was in love with him. 'How are you feeling?' He asked calmly, meeting her eyes, a serious look on his face.

'Good, a lot better.' She smiled weakly trying to back up her point but it was clear that something was bothering her. It was clear that Klaus was bothering her. Not in a pestering way but rather there was a clear conflict of interest in her eyes. In that moment, Klaus' face, lips, so close to hers, she wanted to kiss him. Yet, she had gotten into this state because she had kissed him.

The conflict was tearing her apart. Klaus put a soothing hand on her knee, seeing her struggle. He didn't want to leave. He wanted her to kiss him but he couldn't force it. He would just have to wait until she finally thought the time was right.

Her face inched closer to his, just a fraction, still leaving a few inches between their faces. He lifted his face up, his lips coming all the more close to hers. It was such a petty game. How close could they get before one of them inevitably chickened out? Maybe they wouldn't chicken out. No, that was too much to hope too soon. In Elena's eyes, Klaus was still the monster he always was. He was simply a man with a light and dark side, the dark much larger than the light. Elena the exact opposite.

Elena leaned closer, their breath now one and the same. She inched forward again, Klaus meeting her in the middle, their lips grazing each other. 'I'm sorry!' Elena exclaimed, rushing away, her energy fueled by the blood and a new found adrenaline. 'I shouldn't have done that! I can't do that.' She muttered.

'It's fine, love. Really.' He assured, getting to his feet and striding to the door. 'Get some rest, you need it.' Elena nodded and fell back onto the bed as the door closed behind him. How could she have been so stupid? She had now taken to leading the poor man on. She felt sick for doing so. She hated messing with other's feelings just as much as she hated people altering hers. She felt cruel yet, somewhere inside, she wished she had let their lips come closer. She wished that she could just forget the past and be with him, be with her mate.

She wanted to love again and she knew she loved him. She just couldn't come to accept that she was in love with the monster within him too.

word count: 1117

published: 29.04.17