The Ending

The Ending ... 

I hated that the sound of my heels made as I ran. John followed me outside just as I expected him to. The familiar sound of his voice seemed to chase after my footsteps. I leaned up against the wall just beside the back door.

"Janie, come here." John grabbed my elbow and pulled me away from my resting spot.

"Let go of me!" I tore my arm away. "You're an idiot! A blind idiot!" I raised my voice.

"Okay, care to tell me why?" John brought his voice a notch above mine. "Do you want to tell me why I didn't think it was conceivably possible that an amazing, beautiful girl like you could never fall in love with a guy like me? Well? Am I so wrong to think that?" 

Before I could control myself, my hand struck him across the cheek.

"You don't know the half of it, John." Tears gathered at the corners of my eyes. "The better question would be why you didn't say anything before I went through this hell!"

"Why?" He kept his voice at an angered tone. "What difference would it have made? Would it have put me through the satisfaction of knowing that our friendship would never be the same?"

"It would have made me realize that I loved you back even sooner." I whispered.

John's eyes softened.

"You don't get it, John!" My eyes began to pour out. "You don't get it at all." I could feel my voice cracking. "The very second Noelle told me about this bet, I wanted you to make me say no. I wanted you to be the hero--the guy that saves me from heartbreak. I wanted you to be there for me all the time even if I didn't ask you to. 

And even after everything I've been through these past weeks." I sighed. "I found that regardless of all these great guys that I could have possibly been with... You were the only one that I really wanted."

Janie gave me this blank stare.

"It's was always you, John. Never anyone else." I cried to him. I shook my head. "Not one of those guy made me feel like I was invincible. Not one of them made me regret never having met them before. Just you."

John put his hands on my cheeks. "I am an idiot--" And with that, John pressed his lips to mine.

I felt my insides explode from ecstasy. I pulled him closer as he made the kiss more passionate and ever mind binding. 

"FINALLY!" A group of voices called out at once.

John and I turned away from each other.

"Oh," Noelle smiled. "My bad--we just ruined a moment."

I rolled my eyes.

Stephen gave John a thumbs up.

Aurora pouted. "You guys are going to have beautiful babies."

Tarynne pushed her way through, "Wait, so does this mean it's over? The bet?"

John pulled me closer. "I guess so." He smiled and kissed me again.

"Gomez, get your tongue out of my sister's mouth when I'm in front of you!" Noelle yelled. 

Stephen covered her mouth with his hand and pulled her away. "Carry on, little bro!"

The backyard filled with laughter, and the night seemed to end without any other worry.

Noelle and Stephen got married by the next month. Not two seconds after, we found ourselves planning several other weddings.

Tarynne got me to invite Joel to be the wedding singer as well as to invite Jon and his new girlfriend Macy to all the weddings.

After Stephen and Noelle moved out, John had me move in.

Looking back, I found that this entire thing was started not because of a family's goal to find love or a bet to fall for a guy before New Year's--no, none of that started this.

http://member.mibba.com/53022/   aka Lesleyannhae....