chapter 5

Chapter  5

 Moka's P.O.V.

I slipped Leo the "Oh, my ride is just around the corner" excuse. I didn't feel like sitting down. My heart was racing. I let my feet carry me back home. Just as the gray in the sky settled above the fiery haze in the sunset, it dawned on me. I am in way over my head with this. By the time these seven weeks are over, I'll bebreaking broken down.

By the time I got home, the entire neighborhood was quiet. I passed by Ake's house. The lights were off. There was no glow from the TV. He's probably asleep. I won't wake him.

I opened the door to my house, letting the burgundy portal swing off to the side. The autumn breeze flooded in, carrying some of the seasoned leaves with it. I shut it and slid to the floor.

My lack of energy caught up with me. I felt almost numb, lying there on the cold floor all alone. Well, not really alone actually. 

"So, how was the date?" Someone asked from the kitchen.

I leaned over a bit as to see who was addressing me. Noami sat at the table counter with her laptop in front of her face.

I stayed in my spot on the floor. I sighed,

"Alright."

"That's it?" She shut her Dell laptop and walked over to me. Her faded purple glasses hung from the edge of her nose. The long black hair that she usually kept down and around her shoulders was up in a loose and messy bun. I could almost chuckle at her sweatpants and Abercrombie and Fitch t-shirt.

"That's it." I kept my spot.

Noami sat down in front of me, crossing her legs.

"Well? What happened? Do you like him?"

I shrugged. "I like him." 

"Mo, seriously, you're leaving me in the dark."

I sat up, "When you kiss Jack... Do you feel anything?"

"Like what?"

"I don't know. Anything. Tingling. Sparks. A rush." I let out a long held breath.

"Anything?"

"I always feel weightless. Like my body goes numb. Everybody--Everything disappears, and it's just the two of us together. No worries, nothing. Like the entire world just paused for this one moment," she said quietly. "If that's what you're looking for."

I nodded. "That's why I can't be with Lee."

"What?" 

"I felt nothing, Noam." I stood up.

"There was no spark, no weightless feeling. We were just.. There. His lips on mine, and that was it."

Noma stood up. "I'm sorry, Mo." 

"This is going to be harder than I expected it to be." I shook my head.

"Don't worry, we'll find him."

We stood in silence for a couple of minutes. The crickets that were around the house sang softly. It was almost as if they felt we needed a soundtrack to fill in the silence.

The door swung open revealing Ake, hair messed up, over-sized t-shirt and everything. He was panting as if he ran around the entire neighborhood and back. 

"You okay, Ake?" I chuckled.

"You--Date--I--He--Beach--Already?!" He said in a rush.

"Huh?"

"I thought I was going to pick you up from the pier, but then I fell asleep again, and I drove to the pier, but you weren't there So I drove all the way back and--yea." Ake rambled. I could see the sweat on his forehead glistening. "You did not see how badly I was panicking."

I laughed, "I'm fine. I just walked home. I didn't go to your house 'cause I thought you were asleep."

He laughed once, "That's partly true.."

"Can I still come over?" I asked hopefully.

Ake smiled, "Of course. I'll wait in the car." 

I nodded to him then turned back to Noam.

"I'll see you in the morning."

She nodded. "Mo?"

"Yea?" I grabbed the bag I packed before I left that was left on the couch.

"Don't look too hard for the right guy, okay?" She bit her lip with a nod. "You might miss the perfect one if you do."

I gave her a small smile.

"I won't."