Chapter 10

Chapter 10

I stood in front of the Parker household. My thin light blue scarf flew in the slight breeze, braiding itself. The house was still and quiet. The burgundy door looked untouched and undisturbed.

I shook my head and let my feet carry me back to my house.

The breeze suddenly picked up. My scarf did a flip then tore itself away from my neck. In less than a second, my eyes bugged out. I ran after my runaway scarf only to find it caught it the Parker's door.

Stupid scarf. 

I hurried up the front porch and untangled it. The door swung opened just as the knot gave way. 

Ake smiled, "Trying to break the doorknob?"

I rolled my eyes, "More like trying to get my scarf back."

"How was the date?"

"Fine." 

"That's it?"

"Yep." I pulled my scarf away and made my walk back to my house.

Ake ran up behind me. He made a slow pace at my side.  

"You're mad at me aren't you."

I took this as more of a statement than a question. I shook my head, "Why would you think that?"

To be honest, I wasn't mad at all. For some reason, I just found the situation..awkward? Yea, that's it. Awkward. As in, I want to get away as soon as possible. This is not where I want to be. More like farthest from it!

"Well, because you didn't go 'AKE' like you usually do when you see me , and you're running away from this conversation." He jumped in front of me. 

I was only a couple of paces away from my house, too...

"I'm just tired." I ran my fingers through my hair just to get them tangled. The wind must have knotted my hair.  

"Shoot."

"Here--" Ake unlatched me.  

"You're earring was caught."

I sighed, "Thanks." I blinked a couple of times. This was basically the longest two seconds of my life. "Can I get to my house now?"

Akelooked at me skeptically. "Sure, Mo." He stepped aside.

I let out a sigh of relief, "Thanks." I cut through my yard. Just as I touched the silver handle on my door, Ake spoke once more.

"I broke up with Maggie this morning." 

I dropped my hand to my side, still keeping my eyes on the handle. "What went wrong?"

I suddenly felt Ake's hand on my shoulder. He turned me around.  

"Nothing."

"Nothing?"

He shrugged and dropped his hand. 

"The chemistry wasn't there."

"There must have been something."

Ake scratched his chin, "I don't know."

I nodded, kind of confused.

"I'm really sorry I didn't tell you, Mo." He slipped his hand into mine.

I squeezed it a bit. I bit my lip.  

"It's okay."

"Well, she's gone now." He sighed. 

The wind suddenly gushed everything it had in it's system and pulled my scarf away again.

Yea, the scarf hates me.

"Dammit!"

"Here, I got it--"

Ake and I ran for the bushel of fabric at the same time. This, coincidentally, caused us to fall. Me on top of him. Awkward.

We kind of stayed like that until we came to our senses.

"You mind if I stay at your place tonight?" He suddenly said.

To be honest, I didn't expect myself to smile at his question. More like, I expected myself to come up with some dumb excuse or something.  

"Sure." 

He smiled, and we walked inside.

We laid down beside each other on my mattress. I had my head on his chest while he stroked my hair continuously.

I sighed. I loved these moments we had. It was like everything that had gone wrong never existed. All mistakes have been erased and only good memories were there.

Bigger Than Love started to flood my stereo.

I repositioned myself against John so I could face him as David Cook's voice entered my ears.

Akejust smiled.

"If you've ever heard a beating heart, a rhythm for the songs we're too afraid to sing." 

There are just some things that you do that can never explained even by yourself. You know. Like, why did you ask out the girl you hated to prom? For the experience? To see if she'd fall for you?

It's all unexplained.

I pressed my lips to Ake's.

It was just like that for a bit, then I noticed he was kissing back. His hand that was stroking my hair cradled my neck and pulled me closer.

I put my hand on his chest and sat more upright.

Ake followed me, his lips still on mine.

I pulled away.

His brown eyes gleamed at me. 

I gathered my knees to my chest as stared at my comforter.  

"That didn't happen." My lips shook.

Ake sat back.  

"Right."