Chapter 8

He wanted to help me? He just bit me and made me faint and now he expects me to magically trust him again. That wasn't hard at all. I stared at him for a few moments. He placed a hand on the chain, curling his fingers around it. I didn't let my eyes off him. Should I trust him? Should I trust Wraith Carson? 

"I'm going to break this chain of now Danielle. But I need you to trust me. What I'm doing is for your own good," he said. 

"You hid something so big from me Wraith! You stalked me around wherever I went! You bit me and turned me into a werewolf! What good did that do for me?!" I yelled.

"Listen Danielle! I'm actually very nice compared to any other wolf out there! Other wolves wouldn't have given you a chance! Other wolves wouldn't bite you Danielle..." Wraith began.

"If they don't bite me...then what would they do?" I asked.

"They will pin you to the ground and suffocate you until you cant breath. Then...when you can no longer escape. They. Will. Eat. Your. Flesh!" Wraith explained.

I gulped. Wraith sighed and held onto the chain with his other hand too. I guess he was going to set me free after all. He looked down at the floor, his hair dropping over his forehead. I stared at him as hair began to grow on the sides of his face. Fangs and claws began growing, and his eyes were glowing bright yellow. He let out a loud and aggressive growl, breaking the chain with his bare hands. He returned back to normal, his werewolf features immediately disappearing. 

"Speechless?" he stated looking at me. 

"I...I guess," I stammered. 

"Try it. Try breaking the chain from here..." Wraith said handing me part of it. 

I tried breaking it with my normal strength, just to make sure that Wraith's strength was real. Nope, couldn't break it. I took a deep breath in. How was I going to do this now. I closed my eyes and focused on nothing but myself and the chain I was holding onto. I squeezed it tightly, feeling my heartbeat go faster. 

I kept myself focused, taking steady breaths. I felt the blood rising up my cheeks, my heart racing quicker than it was before. I guess a fast heartbeat helps you transform. I squeezed the chain tighter than ever, a loud growl coming from my mouth. My fang and claws were growing and I could feel all my muscles tensing. I broke the chain with all my might, holding the broken ends in my hands. 

I looked at Wraith, still not turning back into my normal form. A scent was filling the air. The type of scent that smells like damp dog fur. I started to cough. I didn't like the smell of dongs. They stink. The corners of Wraith's mouth lifted into a smile. A really hot smile, to be more specific. I smiled back, my shrinking back to how they were. I turned normal again, my heartbeat slowing down again. 

"Looks like your senses are finally waking up," he stated.

"What do you mean?" I probed.

"You can smell that dog...right? That dog is about 6 houses down the street. Yet you can still smell it from here. Now listen to me. My next door neighbor is listening to a song with her earphones plugged in. I want you to listen carefully and tell me what song it is. You don't have to transform for this," Wraith explained.

"That's impossible Wraith! She has her earphones in!" I exclaimed.

"Just do it Danielle!" Wraith commanded. 

I sighed and sat down. Silence filled the room, and Wraith was looking at me patiently. This wasn't going to work. What on earth did he think I was? I concentrated on the nothingness and emptiness around me. Wraith frowned and folded his arms.

"Can you not hear it?" he demanded.

"Shh! I think I can...hold on a second..." I managed to say.

I wasn't lying. I was able to hear a paint noise. I closed my eyes and focused on that sound. It was slowly getting louder and louder. Come on! I can do this!  I kept telling myself. I was able to hear it clearly now, even though it's so far away. I kept my eyes closed and let in a deep breath.

"You're dripping like a saturated sunrise...you're spilling like an overflowing sink. Your ripped at every edge but your a masterpiece...and now your tearing through the pages and the ink..." I sang. 

I fell silent for  few moments, opening my eyes slowly. 

"Colors by Halsey..." I whispered. 

"That's right..." he said smiling. 

He stood up and held his hand out, helping me to my feet. I placed a hand on my shoulder, the smiled still glued onto his face. 

"We're not done yet. Just a few more things you need to learn too control, and you'll be good to go..."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I stood in front of the school gates. I went to school alone today, without Gabe. It took a lot more courage to walk in than I thought. Evan walked into the gates, stopping right next to me. He scrunched up his nose and looked at me with a frown. Without a word, he just looked away and walked in. What was the deal with him. 

I sigh and just walk in. What's the worst than can happen? Never mind...I don't want to think about it. I opened my locker and shoved my things in. Gabe ran towards me from the end of the hallway. I was panicking. Hopefully his 'sixth sense' doesn't tell him that something is wrong. He stopped right beside me, shoving his hands in his pocket. 

"Why didn't you go to the party last night?" he asked.

"Yeah...I told you I wouldn't come..." I replied.

"Then...why did you stay at Wraith's house? Are you in some sort of relationship that I don't know about?" Gabe mumbled.

"W-what! No!" I yelled.

Gabe looked down at his shoes, with a sad expression on his face. Gosh he always makes me guilty when he makes that face. He looked up and his gaze met mine. More guilt deep inside my gut. Just great. He reached over and held onto my hand, stroking it softly with his thumb. God. Help. Me.

"Are you sure there's nothing more that you're not telling me..." he whispered softly. 

I had to think of a good lie for this. I had to find a reasonable thing that I could use as the 'secret' that I'm hiding from Gabe. I looked up at him and sighed, appearing to look upset.

"Is there something that's been bothering you?" he demanded.

"I...I remembered Justine..." I blurted.

Shit! Why on earth did I bring that up?! Now I was actually upset. Gabe looked slightly shocked and hurt for bringing it up. I felt my eyes get teary. I haven't mentioned this in front of Gabe before. Gabe slightly opened his mouth and let in a deep breath. He hugged me tightly and squeezed me. I could sense him crying. Thank god the hallways were empty at this time of morning. 

"W-why didn't you tell me Danielle? I could've came and helped..." he stammered.

"I didn't want to remind you of it..." I said. 

He hugged me tighter. I feel even more guilty for bringing it up. I hate seeing Gabe cry. I hate it more when he's crying because of me. And yet he's trying to comfort me through all the pain his feeling. Now I was crying as well. 

"I don't care if you remind me of it Danielle. I don't want you hurting on your own..." he whispered.

I felt my heartbeat go faster. No!  Blood rushing to my cheeks. No! Not now please!  I could feel all my muscles beginning to tense. This can't happen now!  I closed my eyes and concentrated. I kept my breath steady, trying to be as calm as possible. My heartbeat eventually got slower, and I felt normal again. 

That was a close call...