❥ Chapter Forty-eight ❥

Written by DeadlyDisasters

Ash pov

"You said you would shoot Ash if I couldn't, not me." I heard Everett say to his father, concern and relief heavy in his voice. Why's he relieved? What is there to be relieved about? I'm watching this scene play out as though I'm watching a movie and not actually part of this.

"I said I would kill someone, I never said who specifically." His father responds with glee. He sounded so happy to prove Everett wrong. I feel as though I'm disconnected from my body, I understand that I'm standing here without Everett's dad holding a gun to my head but my mind is blank. I know I want to do something but I'm not sure what it is that I want to do.

"I knew you were never going to kill him, you care about him too much to save your own skin," he continues. I slowly look at Everett, he looks defeated. Everett's expression shows me that his father finally understands how he feels about me, was Everett really not going to kill me? I should have given him more credit, maybe he really does love me back like he claimed. I had convinced myself that he pitied me so much that I had forgotten how emotional he was when he told me he loved me, when I told him that I loved him. He couldn't believe that he was loved and when those words tumbled from my lips, the walls he built up to protect himself came crashing down.

That's when it happens. It all seems to happen in slow motion, my ears ring with the familiar bang of a gun but not from a gun that I have ever held. I watch in horror as Everett lands on his back, clutching his chest and crying out in pain. Like one of my victims would when I would go out and kill with Everett. Everett who saved my life and is now bleeding out on the floor as his own father is doubled over clutching his stomach from laughter. The gun lays forgotten on the floor next to him.

I run over to Everett but it seems like I'll never get to him before he dies, I'm terrified that he will. I fall to my knees when I reach him, he's grunting in pain as if he's holding himself back from yelling. Blood covers his hands and shirt, he's holding his chest right over his heart. He can't leave me like this, alone and scared. He can't go, I love him too much to watch him die so young. If anyone deserves to die it's his father. He's the one that's caused us all this pain, he started this all. Neither of us would be cut and bruised, bleeding out, and feeling so worthless that we actually want death.

When I look back over at that bastard, he's on the floor. Breathing deeply and then laughing as hard as he can again in a long annoying pattern.

"You...both...actually...thought...you...would...get...out..of...this...alive!" He slowly said between fits of laughter. I grit my teeth, there is no way either one of us is dying. The only person in this room who I will allow to die is Everett's father. I look around the room for the gun.

It is right by his feet, more anger slowly wells up inside me and I lunge for the gun. It feels familiar and foreign at the same time. I move so I'm standing above Everett's father with the gun aimed at his head. When my shadow falls across his face his laughter ceases. He didn't count on me getting the gun, he didn't predict that he would lose his composure like he did.

"Mad I killed your boyfriend?" He mocks, my grip tightens on the gun and I calm myself just a little. Just enough that I can speak clearly.

"He's not dead yet." I say, with a creepy calmness. I'm so angry that Everett is on the floor behind me bleeding out that I've gone scary calm. I watch as panic creeps across the bastard's face. He starts to look around frantically for a way out of this situation but I fire the gun. His face loses all expression and life as the bullet makes impact with his skin. He dies almost instantly, blood leaks out of the hole I created in his head with my bullet. I feel no guilt for killing him, staring down at the remnants of a terrible man, I never feel guilt for my victims and right now I'm proud of that. He deserves nothing, not even a proper burial next to his wife. I might burn the body later just in spite of him but first I have to get to Everett. I have to try and help him.

I gently place the gun on the floor and rush back over to Everett.