❥Chapter Twenty❥

Written by ChemicalWonderland

Head detective POV (minutes before Everett discovers him)

I hide in the shadows of his basement, ready to attack. I'm itching to see my demon of a son, the one so deeply tied to my history. He'll be shocked to see me, absolutely shocked that his old man is still around. He'll wonder why he hasn't killed me yet, and will realize that he can't. I'm his only family, and he'll never lay a finger on me, no matter how messed up I made his life. And that gives me power.

I'm his biological father, and if that doesn't count for something, I don't know what does. His love for me is unconditional, instinctive and simply apart of human nature. No matter how badly I treat him, or no matter what I say to make him despise me, I know he can't do it. He just can't, because part of him must still have some burning desire to please me, to be the perfect son. Everett may not think of me by name, or in essence, but I'm that urge to kill, that's what I've put in him. And on being a perfect son, he's anything but. He could do anything and everything I wanted him to, like a perfect slave without free will, and I'd still hate him. I tried to groom him to be the perfect son from a young age, but my wife would have none of it. She was pure in every way, and I was evil in every way. And that makes our child pure evil.

On another note, Everett was a stupid name. For a stupid boy too, so I guess it works. But his mother loved the name, just another thing I despise about her. At least she's gone now. Long gone, I made sure of that. Yet sometimes I still see her. In the brightest, warmest of days, when the sky is a vibrant blue. Or in a young child, eyes filled with hope. She represented love and happiness, which is the reason she had to go. She cared too much about the world and the people in it, which is what got her dead anyways. I hated her, and always will. Her entire side of the family was too gentle, too careful, and I could tell they were afraid of me. Which is why I dissappeared after a while, trying to break free of their restraints. They were all normal, and treated me like some freak because I'm smarter than them. But now it's time for me to return to my family that I hate.

It's not too often that you get to have a reunion with your son and see what an absolute mess he's made of himself, free and wild in this cruel, evil world. It's funny how he's turned out, heck I thought he'd be alright. Then again, after suffering through what he's suffered through, I shouldn't be so surprised. I just can't wait to get a hold of him, to see the look on his eyes when he sees me.

Oh, here he comes now down the stairs.