Kabanata XXXVII

3 years later...

I watched the reporters as they shout, trying to catch my attention, asking for various questions. While here I am, inside my heavy tinted car, watching how the guards are pushing the media away to let my car pass. It took a lot of minutes before they were able to get a grip of those bunch of reporters. My driver, then, continued driving, aiming for the parking lot where unauthorized persons cannot longer enter.

A bodyguard opened the door beside my seat. I quickly went out of the car as my secretary immediately approached me. She stayed at my back while following my lead.

"You have a meeting with the board at 2 pm, followed by the contract signing with Mrs. De Guzman at 3, also a meeting for the partnership with the Fiacré Printing Inc. at 4, and lastly, an interview for an international magazine at 6."

I am silently listening to her as I walk my way inside my company, and also, to the elevator. Only the sound of my stilettos can be heard all around the place as I take another step since all of the employees stopped from whatever they are doing to bow towards my direction.

Nang marating ko ang elevator, I immediately pressed the button for the highest floor. As I wait inside to reach my destination, I saw myself through the metal door. I'm sophisticatedly wearing a red sleeveless top together with my black pencil skirt, it is matched with my red stilettos and lastly, my Chanel bag that every woman would die for.

I only wear this kind of fashion whenever I go to my job, anyway.

Bumukas na ang pinto at nagsimula na akong maglakad patungo sa office ko, with my secretary silently following me of course. Pero nang pumasok na ako sa aking opisina, naiwan na siya sa labas dahil naroon ang desk niya.

I placed my bag above my desk before I sat on my swivel chair. I closed my eyes and massaged my temples due to a headache. Media is really a pain in the ass. Hindi nila ako tinatantanan. They are so eager to know the lady boss who owns this large company, which happened to be me. I never showed them my face, nor entertained one of them. That explains why they are hungry as a lion to get my attention.

Oh well, pumayag naman na ako sa isang magazine na magpa-interview. The company owner of that magazine is a close friend of mine kaya pumayag na ako. It's a formal interview kaya alam kong hindi naman siguro sasakit ang ulo ko sa kanila. Ayoko lang talaga kasi na maraming reporter at sunod-sunod pa silang magtatanong sayo. Can't they see that I only have one mouth to answer them? That's why my identity is hidden, I want a private life, despite the success that I have reached.

Someone knocked at the door causing for me to open my eyes. My American secretary inserted her head through the door.

"Your meeting with the board will start in 5 minutes, madame."

I nodded once, that's a cue for her to leave and just wait for me outside.

I stayed still for about a minute before I decided to stand up. Kinuha ko lang ang cellphone ko sa bag ko bago ako naglakad palabas para magtungo sa conference room kung saan laging ginaganap ang meeting with the board.

Binati nila ako pagkapasok na pagkapasok ko. Tipid lang akong ngumiti sa kanila bago ako umupo sa upuang laging nakareserba para sa akin, it's like a throne for the one and only superior.

The meeting went well, tumaas ang sales namin hindi lang dito sa US, kundi pati na rin sa iba pa naming branch sa iba't ibang panig ng mundo, which is really a good thing. Wala akong dapat ikabahala.

The meeting early ended, kaya naman may oras pa akong pumirmi muna sa aking opisina habang hinihintay ang oras para sa susunod kong sched.

But instead of just sitting on my swivel chair, I chose to stand in front of my floor-to-ceiling window with a glass of champagne on my hand. I let myself observe the tall buildings just beside mine. Though I have to admit, mine is quite bigger than them.