History

Sebastian sat in the small chair uncomfortably, looking at the other two people in the large room. They seemed to be around his age, teenagers. His bright blue eyes flickered to the dark wooden door as it opened, several adults entered the room, looking at them silently before taking seats across the table from the three teenagers.

"Hello, I hope you've all introduced yourselves?" A man asked, sitting in the middle, his chair slightly larger than the rest as if to show he was the leader of this strange meeting.

Sebastian could feel his heart thud in his chest, they had been in this room for hours, taken from their homes. He wasn't a small kid, but he had always been awkward and quiet, his large frame making him a target of harsh words. His hair was cut so short there was barely any hair at all. He was dressed in cargo jeans and a over-sized sweater.

"Okay, I know this is a scary thing for all of you, but we are here to help you. You were chosen to be the next generation. Pardon me, my name is Elijah, I am the one you can come to with your questions. This is Alicia," He gestured to a tall willowy woman sitting besides him. "She will help you reach your full capabilities. Now I realize you're all very confused but I'm going to help you understand a little better in a moment. For now why don't you tell us your names." He was an older man, his hair turning to salt and pepper but his cold green eyes were watchful and unwelcoming despite the smile on his face. His face lined with stress lines and wrinkles betraying his real age.

"I'm Rose." The girl spoke, lifting her chin in defiance. Her eyes an odd mixture of green and brown, but not yet hazel. She was thin and average height, her skin showing from the shorts and halter top she wore. Her feet covered by clunky black boots, her hair was bright red, falling over her shoulders.

"Aspen." A timid boy spoke, his eyes on his hands as his shoulders were curled towards his chest. His blonde hair nearly reached his eyes, his lanky body slightly shaking as if he was cold.

Sebastian looked towards the adults, finding their eyes on him. "Sebastian." He mumbled out, "Why are we here?" He suddenly asked, demanding the answer.

"Because you each hold a certain destruction in your bones, your genes mixed with this from your birth. It is not a hereditary trait but rather a gift. A gift you were grown to need."

He suddenly stood as each teenager felt strong hands on their shoulders, causing them to jump. Rose lurched away, trying to get away instantly. Aspen curled more into himself, shaking harder, Sebastian sat still, carefully watching each of them as Elijah took a box from a woman dressed in all black, her face hidden behind a mask.

"Now now, this is a gift." He tsked lightly, moving to Rose.

"Why don't you stick your gift up you-" A soft shriek of pain escaped her lips as his hand touched her forehead, her body suddenly stopped resisting, falling limp in the chair. Elijah moved to Aspen, the boy softly mumbled as tears fell down his face. Sebastian recognized it as a prayer before his body uncurled and he also went limp.

Elijah stood before Sebastian, looking down at the blank face on the teenager. Something flickered in his green eyes before he touched his forehead. It felt like Sebastian had the wind knocked out of his chest, slipping deeper into the chair. His eyes rolling back as he gasped for air, then as he opened his eyes he saw another masked person stand before him.

"When you wake you will be evolutionary." Elijah's voice was distant, but the flash of pain in Sebastian's chest wasn't. He heard sobs, then he felt the wetness on his cheeks. His blue eyes finding a sharp object sticking out of his chest. It didn't last long before darkness consumed him and he died. Blood slipping out of his wound, his blood spun around him before turning to smoke.