Running the Perimeter

Chapter Five (Cayden's POV)

I was sitting outside with Aria under a tree trying to get to know a little more about my sexy little mate, but keeping what my father had said when i spoke to him in mind. She was telling me about back home, but I wasn't really paying attention to what she was saying because I was more focused on the way her lips moved. All I wanted to do was kiss her, but I didn't want to scare her off or become more distant than she already has.

" Cayden" I heard my name being called and turned around to see Ryan one of the pack members running towards me.

" Yeah Ryan" I said as he approach me and Aria, who was watching Anna play with the other children.

" Max's mate went into labor and its our turn to run the perimeter with Nate. Do you want us two to go or shall we find someone else to run with us" He asked.

" No ill go with you guys, Aria ill be back in two hours. Do you think you will be OK on your own."

" Yeah go ill be fine"  I nodded stood up and went with Ryan to go meet up with Nate for run. once we got over to the meeting place that was hidden by trees we stripped out of our clothes and tied our shorts to our legs in case we had to shift back into human form.

Once we were all in wolf form we started to run the perimeter of the pack land either looking for a potential threat or looking for unfamiliar scents. That's how we came across Aria and Anna this morning we caught their scent. You see werewolf's have heighten sight, smell, and hearing which all come in handy when running the perimeter.

We were twenty minutes out when I came across the smell of blood and the scent of the were was definitely not someone from out pack, so its either a rogue or someone from another pack.

"Do you guys smell that?" I asked through the pack link.

" Yes" both Nate and Ryan responded back.

"Come on lets go see who it is"

" Yes sir"

We followed the scent trough the trees and came across a wounded male. He was sitting up against a tree in human form. You could see the scratch marks all over his badder and torn up body. If he was human he never would have survived the attack. He didn't smell or have the appearance of a rogue so I started to walk closer. He was alerted and tried to stand up, but fell back against the tree probably in to much pain. I shifted back into human form and slipped on my shorts before walking back over to Nate and Ryan. I untied Nate's shorts and told Ryan to shift back in human form.

" Nate Ryan and I are going to carry him back to the pack house for the pack doctor to look at him. Run ahead and have him meet us there." I commanded and he nodded before sprinting in the direction to where the doctor lived. Ryan, now in human form and I walked over to the wounded were. He looked like he was into much pain to fight and was about to hyperventilate.

"hey we are going to put these shorts on you and take you back to our pack house for our doctor to look at you and then you can explain what happened and why you are here, but for right now we should worry about getting you looked at" I explained. He nodded and winced from the movement. I gently eased the shorts up to the first part of his legs and he pulled them up the rest of the way whimpering in pain. Ryan and I helped him up and started walking towards the pack house with us supporting his weight as we walked.

It took us an extra ten minutes to get back to the pack house since the were was wounded and could barely walk. When we got there the pack doctor was there and we walked in the house setting him on the couch. The doctor immediately started by checking the wounds and giving him a shot.

Aria walked in to the room and saw the guy on the couch and gasped before the tears started to run down her beautiful face. This made me growl she obviously cared about this guy and I wonder what kind of relationship he has with my sexy little mate. Trying to forget about the jealous that was trying to consume me, I walked over to my mate and pulled her into my lap on the chair opposite the couch.

" shh shh do you know him" I asked.

she nodded before say " Yes that's Liam he's been like a brother to Anna and me is he going to be ok"

" I think so, but we will have to see what the doctor says when he is finished"

(Aria's POV)

*Before Cayden returns with Liam*

Nate had come running back to the pack house with the doctor on his heals. Frightened that Cayden could have been hurt I stood up and walked over to Nate.

"Hey Nate is everyone ok"

"Yeah We found a wounded were out on our run" He replied before walking away with the back doctor and I thanked him as they walked away.

I walked back to were Anna and the other kids waiting for Cayden and Ryan to return from with the wounded were slightly hoping that it was someone from my pack who survived, but not wanting to get my hopes up.

I didn't have to wait for them to arrive with the wounded were for long,but I couldn't get a glimpse of him before the pack doctor and some of the pack members crowding around them. I waited a few minute after to follow them into the pack house.

Once in the house, I heard talking coming from the living room so I walked in there and looked at the person on the couch. I gasped and let the tears swell and spill out of my eyes.  it was Liam, my childhood friend who is like a big brother to me and Anna. His body was covered in gashes from the rogue attack. He looked like he was in excruciating pain.

Cayden came over and sat down in the chair opposite the couch pulling me in his lap. I know I should have resisted since he really is mine even though he is my mate.

"shh shh do you know him?" He asked with what I thought was a hint of jealousy, but quickly dissmissed it knowing better.

I nodded my head yes before saying,"Yes, that's Liam he has been like a brother to Anna and me. Is he going to be OK?"

" I think so, but we need to wait and see what the doctor says when he is finished" he replied no longer having any signs of jealousy in his voice, if there even was any to begin with.

I continued to cry in his arms and hoping that Liam would be ok. I must have fallen asleep because I felt myself being lifted and carried up the stairs. Not long after I was set on something soft which im assuming was a bed and drifted back into a deep sleep, while trying to forget that my back was attack the night before and there was a doctor downstairs tending to Liams torn and baddered body.