Part 14

Lindsey: Hello Maura, Bobby! Um, Larinda? I didn’t know you were coming.

Maura: Well, we ran into her on our way here and she insisted on coming with us.

Larinda: Hope you don’t mind.

Lindsey: Not at all. (I smiled at her)

Maura gave a desperate look to Niall and Danny. Danny looked at Niall and then me.

Danny: Oh, I just forgot to call my mother and tell her I was home. She’ll be worried sick! I’ll be right back. (Danny went upstairs)

Bobby: What happened to your eye, Lindsey?

Lindsey: Oh, um, well– (I looked at Niall for an excuse)

Niall: Lindsey just fell on her face the other day. Clumsy girl.

Lindsey: I’m normally not that clumsy either!

Maura: I’m sorry to hear that Lindsey, (she gave a stern look at Niall) but the food smells delicious!

Niall: Let’s pull up a chair and eat, then!

We all sat down. Niall and I shared a seat at one of the shorter ends of the table. I was practically in his lap, but that was good. I needed him. Larinda being here put a whole new spin on this dinner. We pulled up a chair for Larinda to sit in, and Danny came back down from upstairs. Bobby prayed over the food and then we started eating.

Bobby: This is all so delicious, Lindsey! Are these your recipes?

Lindsey: No, sir. My dad came up with all of these recipes. He used to make this exact dinner on my birthday. It’s my favorite, so I’m glad you like it. Harry helped me a lot today too, so I can’t take all the credit for preparing it.

Harry: Oh, please. Lindsey did all of the hard stuff.

Maura: Well, you two did an extraordinary job.

I gave a little smile to Harry and kept eating. I looked up and Larinda was staring at Niall. I kept staring at her waiting for her to move her gaze but she never did. Maybe this was why Niall was constantly rubbing my back throughout dinner. I guess he knew I was jealous? I don’t even know why, either. I mean, he didn’t look at her once. Why is she here? She’s coming over Friday! Could she really not wait two days? She even saw him earlier today. But lucky for me the doorbell rang in the middle of dinner.

Danny: I’ll grab it.

John, the head pastor at church and Larinda’s father, stepped into the house.

John: Sorry to interrupt your dinner, but Larinda? I’m looking at this table and I see something that doesn’t belong.

Larinda: What do you mean, Daddy?

John: Get in the car, Larinda.

I think we were all equally shocked. Larinda left the house and got into the car. John watched her leave and then turned to us.

John: I apologize for her behavior, everyone. Lindsey, I’m sorry about your eye. See you Friday.

Lindsey: Oh, um, okay.

John: I apologize again. (he left)

Lindsey: What just happened? (everyone shook their heads, no one knew)

Bobby: So Larinda is responsible for your eye, Lindsey?

Lindsey: Yes, sir. I just didn’t want to start something while she was here.

Maura: We understand, sweetie. I’m sorry about all of this.

Liam: How did he know Larinda was here?