Moments

Part 1

I was so ready to be finished with college. I was on a plane headed to Ireland just waiting for my life to begin. I knew in college that I wanted to do missions overseas. I was scared, but knowing I already had a plan helped a lot. One of my teachers back in America helped me find this great internship with a church in a small town called Cullionbeg. I would have to find a place to stay, but that is the only part that wasn’t mapped out for me, and I’m pretty spontaneous so I was excited to see where this opportunity led.

Flight Attendant: We have safely arrived in Dublin. Thank you for flying with us.

Music to my ears. I grabbed my huge carry-on and started to step off the plane. As I was getting off of the plane, there was a huge crowd of people blocking my exit. After listening to the girls screaming I realized who it was: One Direction.

I thought that since the girls were crowding baggage claim they were arriving in Ireland, but they were actually trying to make their way to their gate. And as they were pushing and shoving through the thousands of screaming girls, I met eyes will Niall Horan. It was weird seeing my old celebrity crush in real life. He kept eye contact with me for I don’t know how long. I felt kind of awkward so I did a little quirky wave, like saying, "I see you staring at me...and I feel a bit uncomfortable." He was hit on the arm by Louis, and then he quickly mouthed something to me and then he was gone. I’m sure he said something around the lines of “Nice to see you.” or something less awkward than what I gave him. I will say though, it did feel good to be noticed among the heap of girls in that airport. 

Now that baggage claim was open, since the directioners followed the band to the gate, I ran to grab my two bags. I got them and made my way outside where there was an older man holding a sign with my name on it.

Lindsey: Why hello there!

Man: Why hello! Would you happen to be Miss Lindsey from America?

Lindsey: Yes, that's me!

Marco: Well, my name is Marco and I will be taking you to Cullionbeg.

Lindsey: Wonderful!

I knew that I was going to love this place! I started to see the beauty of the countryside soon after we left the airport. Marco said that the drive was around an hour, so I decided to strike up a conversation.

Lindsey: I’m really sorry it took me so long to get out of the airport.

Marco: Oh, don’t be. Ever since Niall Horan became a part of One Direction, we have been getting used to the Dublin area and back home getting bombarded with young girls.

Lindsey: Back home? In Cullionbeg?

Marco: Well yes and no, people just tend to hang about the Mullingar area more, and since Cullionbeg is only about 10 minutes away, we do get some tourists.

Great. I start my life out of college, out of all my "phases" and here he is shadowing me in Ireland. My freshman and sophomore year in college was when I was a hardcore directioner. I was watching interviews, saving pictures, and was on tumblr non-stop. I gave them up though. Decided that their morals were so unattractive that I didn’t need to pursue them any longer. But here he is, my favorite band member. 10 minutes away from where I will be working. Way to go, Lindsey.

Marco: You got awfully quiet over there. Don’t like One Direction, is that it?

Lindsey: No, I love their music. I was sort of a fan girl in college, but I never did see them live. I just don’t want Mr. Horan to be a distraction for me. I was basically in love with him a couple of years ago.

Marco: Well, I’m sure after you meet him you’ll think differently about him. (I laughed)

Lindsey: When exactly am I going to meet him, Marco?

Marco: I’m just assuming. He’s in town more than you think. He also attends the church where you will be working.

Lindsey: Awesome... I know this sounds weird, but we had a long, shared stare in the airport. Then, he mouthed something to me. I keep wondering what he could have said, but I guess I shouldn’t worry about it, right?

Marco: Hm… well, he is my nephew. Perhaps I could ask him for you?

Lindsey: You’re his uncle? Wow! That is– I mean– You really don’t have to do that.

Marco: It’s not a problem. He calls me all the time. I’m his favorite Uncle.

Lindsey: You really don’t Marco. Please? I'll see him anyway, right? It'll probably be better to ask him in person.

I was facing it. I would have to see the boy I had posters of in my room in the flesh. I would also probably have a conversation with him. And since when does he attend church? Maybe he's not who I thought he was? Oh, stop it Lindsey this is nonsense. You are not here for boys. You are here to work.

Marco: And here we are.

Lindsey: Marco, it’s beautiful.

Churches were truly magnificent in Europe. This one was just as beautiful as any others I had seen. There were also hundreds of people standing outside, waiting to greet me. I know this because they had a giant banner that said “Welcome Home, Lindsey!” I knew this place was where I was supposed to be. Even if I’ll have to meet him, at least I’ll have this beautiful new congregation to support me here.

Marco: Well, shall we go and introduce you?

Lindsey: Yes, please! 

On the airplane headed for London

Louis: I am ready to be back home already. 

Zayn: Yeah. Ireland was great, but those were probably some of the craziest fans I’ve ever seen. 

Liam: But Niall, your home was beautiful.

Harry: And everyone was just so friendly.

Niall is looking out the plane window.

Liam: Niall?

Niall: What?

Louis: What’s got you, man?

Niall: It was just this girl I saw.

Harry: Oh, what girl Niall? (he laughed) The one you were staring at forever?

Niall: Yeah, that’s her.

Zayn: She was nice-looking, Niall. Do you know anything about her?

Niall: I think she’s from America.

Liam: Nope. I am drawing you a line my friend. American fans are way too crazy to date. 

Harry: No, I don’t think she was a fan girl. I mean, she seemed pretty calm to me. And she was American! She had just gotten off of the plane.

Niall: I mouthed, “I'll find you.” to her. I wonder if she knew what I said?

Louis: Wow, you must have been struck by cupid or something. 

Niall: I know. It was such a weird feeling. (his phone beeps)

Zayn: Who is it?

Liam: That girl from your hometown? Larinda was it?

Niall: Shut up! It’s from my Uncle. He said they’re celebrating a new girl who is now working on the missions staff at my church.

Harry: What does that mean? 

Niall: Hold on…it says he’s going to send a photo. (he looks at the picture) It’s her!

Liam: What?

Zayn: No way! Looks like you got lucky.

Niall: "I'm guessing you said you'd find her, yeah? Well, here she is. She also needs a place to stay…” Hm.

Louis: What are you going to do Niall?

Niall: I’m going to text my cousin Danny back home and hopefully she can stay with him. Maybe he can also get to know her. Figure out if she would do me good.

Harry: So you don’t want to go back home?

Niall: Not just yet…