Chapter 46

Kat's POV:

I must be an idiot to request this meeting. I'm putting his life and mine, as well as countless others, on the line just by considering this. But I need to know, I have to know what to expect next year. I pull my hood closer around my head as I continue up the path through the forest. I reach the small clearing and walk across it before hiding behind a tree. I hear the faint sound of footsteps following after in a matter of minutes. I take a deep breath, ignoring the smells of the forest and seek out his scent.

Standing separate from the trees and the earth, is the scent of a campfire and lillies. I vamp out, straining even my advanced hearing as I listen to his heartbeat. It's calm, but he is almost never otherwise. I listen for additional heartbeats around us but can hear none. Satisfied that we are alone together in the forest I step out from behind the tree. I see him draw back some before seeing my fangs and silver eyes staring at him.

"Thank you for meeting with me."

"Pray tell Katherine, why you were so adamant to meet with me?"

"Severus. It is good to see you as well. I am certain that you know why I felt the need to meet with you now, and why it must be done now."

"No doubt."

I see him offer me but a sneer, but behind those darkened eyes of his I see the pain that Dumbledore's passing has caused him. I see the guilt and the despair that has started to build in his soul once again. I sigh as I look down before walking closer to him. I see his hand tighten on his wand briefly and my steps freeze as I reach for my own.

"I have not come here under false pretenses Severus. I was hoping you could say the same."

"Forgive me, I should have known that you were not one for falsehoods."

I watch as he puts his wand out of sight, but still in easy reach, as everyone does now a days. He offers me a seat on the grass in the clearing, and as I see the old potions master sit in the grass I feel a slight smile form on my face before joining him.

"Severus, I must know, please I must know what I will be faced with next year if I return to Hogwarts."

"The Dark Lord has decided that the Carrow siblings will be teaching at Hogwarts. He will make me Headmaster."

"And the rest of the staff?"

"They are safe from harm, as long as they do not try to overthrow me or defy his rules."

I let out a slight sigh, knowing already that though he says they are safe from harm he cannot promise me their complete safety just as he cannot guarantee me my own. But if he can keep the rest of the staff safe, that is something that even the Order could not do now. I hear his heartbeat accelerate for just a moment before I look back up at him.

"What of me Severus? If I decide to return to Hogwarts as my contract with Dumbledore stated?"

"You will not be killed. The Dark Lord does not wish to challenge the United States Ministry until he has all of Britain, and then all of Europe under his control."

I see his calm pale face grow slightly paler as I look at him. I know that guaranteeing my life is not the only news he has concerning my 'position' at Hogwarts should I return to it. I stare my engagement ring as it sparkles in the sunlight before I look back up into his dark mournful eyes. I force a slight smile onto my face as I stare at him before asking the dreaded question to his hesitation in answering my first question.

"But?"

"He has suggested that the Carrows make students practice dark arts spells on you. He also wants you to be kept from getting blood and then using you as a source of punishment on children that break the rules."

"How?"

"He intends for you to feed from them as a form of punishment for them, and you."

I feel my face pale as my heart sinks in my chest. Dumbledore and Severus were not wrong in saying that I could be in a position to protect many students at the cost of myself. I see now that they weren't kidding. I see Severus glance at my ring before looking back up at me with a plan forming in his head.

"Katherine, you do not have to return to Hogwarts. You may go into hiding with the rest of the Order. I imagine Mr. Weasley would be happier with you safe with him, than at Hogwarts this year."

"I imagine you're correct Severus. But I have never been one to sit by idly while others get hurt when I could have protected them in some way. I do not intend to start now."

"I know, your determination to protect others is what he admired most about you when you joined the Order. I fear I must leave now though, the Dark Lord is summoning us to his side again tonight to discuss Harry being moved in the next few weeks."

I nod a bit as we both stand up from the soft summer grass, not missing what he said about Dumbledore admiring my 'determination' as he called to protect others. Dumbledore would call it determination, where as most of my closer friends and family would call it 'stubborn stupidity.' He gives me a little bow and begins to walk away but stops just short of the edge of the clearing. I watch as he turns back with a glimmer of hope in his eyes as he stares at me.

"Rowle sends his regards and begs forgiveness for his foolishness in following in his father's footsteps."

"He has my forgiveness Severus. Tell him so when it's safe."

"It is strange having another secret ally on the inside this time. I have you to thank for that, you truly changed him whether you meant to or not. Farewell Katherine, I imagine I will be seeing you again soon."

I watch as he rushes off without another glance and I can't help but agree with him. I too imagine that I will be seeing him again soon. I make my way as quickly and quietly as I can back to backyard of the Burrow. I spot Moonlight lying in the sunshine, her silver fur shimmering like silver sickles as she sleeps. I don't make it three steps past her on the grass until she launches herself off the ground and halfway up my leg.

I scoop her up and carry her in, smiling into her fur as she curls closer to my face. I see Bill look up from the evening paper as I walk past, offering me a slight smile followed by a grimace as his remaining stitches pull on his face. I smile in return before tossing a small vial of my tears to him, and like any old Quidditch player he catches it.

"Thanks Katherine, though I don't know how you have so many of these just lying around."

"It was a rough year last year. Seen George around?"

"Yea, he's out back in the yard helping dad set up the table for dinner. Mum's excited that most of the family is coming tonight for dinner. Told them yet bout your plans moving up?"

"Nope and if you tell them we will neuter you."

I see him laugh as he shakes his head at me, before I walk out back into the yard. I spot my ginger putting the last chair in place as I walk up behind him. I wrap my arms around his chest and I'm rewarded by him spinning around and kissing me soundly on the lips.

"How'd your hunting trip go luve?"

"Perfect, especially since I got to come home to your arms." 

The lie of hunting slips off my tongue easily enough as I smile up into his warm brown eyes, forcing my mind away from the thoughts of what I could be doing next year to protect innocent students. The guilt about what I was doing today weighs on my heart as his scent invades my nose, but I force my mind to focus on his eyes and his arms wrapped around me instead. This is for his own good, as well as mine in the long run. For now we are toether and I won't let myself miss him until we're actually parted from each other. I simply won't do it.

Hello dears! Big news, I am writing the wedding chapter! Bad news, it may take a few weeks but it will be up before mid-May I swear! I hope you all have a wonderful Easter Holliday and a lovely weekend! Thanks for all the comments and votes!
Love always,
                             -Jane