Chapter 35

George's POV:

I'm still worried about Kitty. Madam Pomfrey told us both that because she was unconscious for such a long time it may take a while before she was able to speak and move about without some type of difficulty. But that's not what's worrying me. She's......she's not the same Kitty.

She flinches away from my touch and everyone else's when she's awake. She's quieter and I can see the lingering sadness and pain in her eyes when she looks at me. She isn't sleeping well at all, and refuses to close her eyes at night unless there are candles lit around us. It isn't fair what they did to her, how they've changed her.

I hear footsteps approaching me and I turn to see Dumbledore behind me watching me, watching her. I let go of her hand as I sit back in my chair a bit, rubbing my eyes before I look at Dumbledore again. On time as ever I see.

"I was told you wanted a word with me George." (D)

"Professor Dumbledore. I was hoping you could speak with Katherine and.....sir whatever they did to her, it's changed her." (G)

"My boy, I will certainly speak to her, but you should know that I cannot undo the things of the past. Though as the years pass I wish that I could more than ever." (D)

"Whatever you can do sir, however you can help her, please. I love her sir, and seeing her like this is killing me." (G)

"I understand." (D)

"I'll give you two some privacy." (G)

I stand up from the chair next to Kitty's bed as he sits in the one across from me. I look at Kitty's face, peaceful in sleep as it isn't when she's awake and I feel my heart mourn for her. I walk out of the hospital room and find myself walking outside toward the lake. The snow that is covering the ground reminding me of the snowball fights that Kitty and I had with Fred and Lee our first year here at Hogwarts.

That seems like such a long time in the past, rather than two short years ago. I may still be angry with Dumbledore over putting her in such a dangerous job in the first place, but I still hold out hope that he'll be the one to help her. Maybe he'll be able to figure out what I can do to make her feel safe again.

Kat's POV:

I feel a light pressure on my hand and I open my eyes, expecting to see George sitting before me with a soft smile. Instead I meet the twinkling blue eyes of Dumbledore, as he gently smiles at me. I feel a frown form on my face as I look at him, wondering why he's here consindering how mad I know George is at him.

"Hello my dear. I'm glad that you are recovering at last. Mr. Weasley has been quite worried about you." (D)

"W-why you h-here?" (K)

"Mr. Weasley asked me to speak with you. He's worried about you, as you well know I am sure. How are you?" (D)

"F-fine." (K)

"My dear, I think we both know that is not the truth." (D)

"N-no m-more l-lies th-then." (K)

"I can agree to that my dear, especially considering everything you have sacrificed for the Order." (D)

"W-want to sp-spe-speak to Sn-Snape." (K)

"That can be easily done." (D)

I watch as he casts a patronous and send it to find Snape and tell him to come to the hospital wing. We wait in silence with one another, with myself sitting up against the wall after a few minutes. I hear footsteps from down the hall and within seconds the potions master himself walks in, wearing the same sneer and billowing black robes that he wore the first time I met him.

"You needed to speak with me Headmaster." (S)

"Ah Severus, we were just waiting for you. Miss Katherine here has requested the entire truth and I find it only right that we tell her considering her sacrifice." (D)

"I hardly think that wise Headmaster, considering the target upon her head still exists." (S)

"T-tell me!" (K)

I shout as best as I can at the two men, a glare working its way onto my face as I stare into Snape's dark brown eyes. I once thought them black, but if you looked long enough you would see that they were simply dark brown. They only appear black because of the pain and loss that resides behind them.

I watch as his sneer seems to disappear from his face, if for only a moment before he looks at me with a softness that I didn't think could exist in his eyes. He looks at Dumbledore before turning away from both of us, facing the window instead. I look back at Dumbledore waiting for him to begin, but it's Snape that begins to speak instead.

I listen with rapt attention as he talks of his childhood, abused by his Muggle father and cast aside as a freak. Alone and unwanted until he met Lily one day. Lily a girl he would become friends with, a girl who would grow up with him, a girl who would grow into the woman he loved. He spoke of his time at Hogwarts, and the torments he suffered under bullies. Bullies that included Sirius, Remus, and Harry's father.

I hear his voice begin to break as he tells me of the day he lost Lily, the day he called her a Mudblood after she defended him. Soon I find his voice harden again as he speaks of his days with the Dark Lord, as he calls him, and I find myself pitying Snape.

A boy abused and alone, that grew up to be a man that was still alone, turning to what he thought was the only option to be happy. A man that put his trust in the wrong person, and in doing so cost Lily and James Potter their lives. I listen to his voice crack as he mentions her name, and I realize that he still loves her, even after all this time has passed and I can only think of George.

"St-still lo-love her, do-don't y-you?" (K)

"Always." (S)

I hear his voice deepen with pain and loss as he speaks, still facing away from me and Dumbledore, staring out the window. I look back at Dumbledore who has tears forming in his twinkling blue eyes and I know mine must look the same.

"As we spoke last year my dear, Voldemort has created Horcruxes to ensure that he lives, though I cannot be entirely sure how many he created. I have managed to destroy one of them this past summer, resulting in the curse coursing through my veins now. I believe that Harry destroyed another, though unknowingly, during his second year here at Hogwarts." (D)

"H-harry?" (K)

"Yes, I believe that he is a Horcrux. As Severus knows, Harry will have to die by Voldemort's hand in order to ensure that Voldemort himself may be vanquished." (D)

I feel tears prick at my eyes as I listen to what Dumbledore is saying to me. Harry will have to die eventually. Neither can live while the other survives comes to my mind, the prophecy that Dumbledore told Harry and later me. I had thought that Harry could be spared, but now I realize that wasn't the plan. I close my eyes, willing the weak tears away as I steady my breathing.

"Wh-what else?" (K)

Dumbledore tells me how Severus will be the one to kill him before the school year is out. I'm told how Severus will most likely be made Headmaster of Hogwarts after Voldemort overthrows the ministry. I'm even told that I would still have a safe place to call home here at Hogwarts, to help protect the students. I absorb all this information and I feel the fear and burdens of the world bear down on me as I close my eyes.

I take a few deep breathes, fighting to remain calm and not let my own fears grow inside of me. I fight to achieve a sense of peace and when I do, I open my eyes to stare at Dumbledore again. I glance at Snape who is now staring at me with the same distant cold look in his eyes.

"W-want to t-talk to S-Sn-Snape alone." (K)

"That can be done. I will leave you two alone. Severus come to my office after you have finished conversing with Miss Katherine." (D)

I watch as Dumbledore nods at me, before rising from his seat and leaving the hospital wing. Snape takes a few hesitant steps towards me before taking Dumbledore's now empty seat on my left. I stare up into his dark brown eyes and I find myself growing angry, though where that anger lies I'm not sure.