Chapter 21

Kat's POV:

"Ah, Katherine my dear. I don't think we expected to see you here tonight." (D)

"Good evening Dumbledore, Remus. Forgive me if this is a bad time, I've just come to drop off my report." (K)

"Working late then Katherine?" (Remus)

"Afraid so. Christmas party at Death's Pub. Invite only, and I was on the list so I figured I might as well go you know." (K)

"Any news then my dear?" (D)

"Only a bit. I have it on good authority that Amelia Bones was in fact tortured and killed by Voldemort himself. There's also something else happening tonight, though I don't know what it was. Thorfinn left rather quickly." (K)

I take a seat by Remus as Dumbledore pours me a cup of hot tea, which I take grateful to have something to do with my hands other than wring them together in worry. I see Dumbledore nod with a sad look in his eyes, almost as if he expected the rumors to be true, while Remus seems to pale a bit.

"Thorfinn?" (Remus)

"Thorfinn Rowle. A rather new Death Eater this time around I suppose. He's the wizard that Verity Charm has been seeing for a few weeks." (K)

"Does George know?" (Remus)

"Does George know, after having reconnected with him after 8 months of not seeing him face to face, that not only am I Verity Charm in my spare time but that she/I am spending a tremendous amount of time around Death Eaters and one Death Eater in particular? You know Remus, funnily enough that didn't come up in our conversation earlier tonight." (K)

I see him offer me a grim smile but nod in understanding. I look towards Dumbledore and see him smiling at me a bit, and I can only imagine that it's because George and I have finally made up some for now. I roll my eyes at him some before drinking some of my tea. I glance at the clock on the wall and see that it's now six in the morning. Joy.

"Would you like to stay for a few hours and sleep Katherine? Remus is staying in an empty teacher's dorm, and there are a few others if you would like to stay." (D)

"No thank you sir. I think I'll be crashing at the Burrow for a few hours. There is another Death Eater party on New Year's Day. I will try to attend that one and get you my report by the next day." (K)

"Very good my dear. Merry Christmas." (D)

" Yes, Merry Christmas." (Remus)

"Thanks y'all. Merry Christmas to you both." (K)

I give both of them a nod before handing my tea cup back to Dumbledore, stepping into the fireplace and flooing to the Burrow. I hear a short shriek as I land on the floor with a gentle thud, as I start to brush soot off my robes. I look up mid-brush of soot and I see Mrs. Weasley already awake and making breakfast. Though right now she's got her hand over her heart and her wand pointed toward me, as does Mr. Weasley.

I vamp out before smiling at them as they lower their wands. I un-vamp smiling a bit more as I do, before giving a tight hug from Mrs. Weasley. And another one from Mr. Weasley as they step around the kitchen table.

"Oh Katherine dear it's you. We didn't expect you back so early, though I'm happy you'll be able to join us for Christmas breakfast. Everything go alright?" (Mrs. W)

"As alright as it could go I suppose. You don't mind if I take a quick nap on your couch though do you? I haven't been to bed yet." (K)

"Haven't been to......go lie down this instant! Good heavens, my dear. You'll run yourself ragged if you keep this up. Don't know what Dumbledore was thinking ever giving you this job. Go lie down dear, I'll wake you when it's time for breakfast." (Mrs. W)

I smile and thank her as Mr. Weasley offers me a tired smile, and Mrs. Weasley keeps muttering to herself and to him about both Dumbledore and I being crazy for doing this. Honestly though, I'm beginning to agree with her about that. I lay down on the cozy, worn-out sofa in the living room and feel my eyes start to close in seconds. Merry Christmas I suppose.

George's POV:

I was woken up from my dreams of Kitty and me being together again by a pillow to the face and the laughs of Bill and Fred. I open my eyes and see them both laughing at me as I sit up and chunk the pillow back towards Bill on the floor, before turning to the presents at the foot of my bed. I put on my Weasley sweater, as tradition calls for, before going through the rest of the presents. Pretty good haul this year, all things considered.

New robes from Fred, along with a new set of fireproof and explosive proof gloves. Bill got me a book of curses, and Charlie got me one on hexes. Candy and a few other trinkets are in the pile as well as a small wrapped package buried underneath everything else. I look at the writing on it and see that it's Kitty's and I wonder how she had time to get me anything. I open it and find myself looking at a picture of us.

It's one that was taken at the Yule Ball that first year we were together. I'm holding her close to my side as we laugh along with Fred and Angelina in the picture. It's funny that I can't remember what we were laughing about, but I remember how care free all our laughter sounded that night. I smile as I look at Kat in my arms, before turning it around and seeing the inscription she's carved into it. Kat's Guy.

I laugh a bit before setting it carefully on the table beside my bed. I hear a meow and a pawing sound at the door, and as I open it little Moonlight runs in and climbs up onto my shoulder meowing loudly.

"What's with her?" (Bill)

"Not sure, maybe she's hungry. I'll go downstairs and feed her." (G)

I start walking downstairs, and the smell of mum's cooking only makes me realize how much we miss her and how much we appreciate her now that she isn't always there to cook for us. I find myself yawning as I reach the bottom of the stairs and Moonlight jumps of my shoulder. I watch her run across the floor and then I see why she woke me up in the first place, not for food but to tell me that Kat was here.

I smile as I walk quietly over to her, scooping her up into my arms as gently as I can before I take her upstairs to Fred and mine's room. I lay her down on my bed just as Fred and Bill walk out with smirks on their faces. I brush some hair out of her face and see the gentle smile as she snuggles closer into my pillow. It's my turn to smirk a bit at that, before laying a kiss on her forehead and heading down for breakfast.

I walk into the kitchen to find most of the Weasley gang already sitting down and eating some breakfast. I give mum a hug as Fred and I hand her the gifts we picked out for her. She smiles and hugs us both before putting on her new hat and dishing out food to us. We all eat in a cheerful way with chatting and laughing going around the table. I wait until everyone finishes until I walk up to mum.

"Mum, when did Kat get back?" (G)

"This morning dear, round 6 it was. Poor dear was so worn out I told her to have a lie down on the couch until she was well rested." (Mrs.W)

I nod at mum before kissing her on the forehead and heading back upstairs to check on Kat. I open the door and see her still laying in bed but there is a frown on her face where once there was a smile. I shut the door behind me before walking over to the bed and taking a hold of her hand. I smile as she opens her eyes but before I can even say a word she shoots a spell towards me.