Chapter 1

Kat's POV:

"So any news from the home front Katherine?" (R)

I smile a bit as Rolf was now breathing down my neck, looking over my shoulder as I wrote up my notes for the day. He's been trying to sneak up on me since I started the internship, and he has been consistently failing each time. It's beginning to frustrate him that he can't get by with anything thanks to my enhanced hearing, and it only makes me smile each time he tries again.

"My parents say hello, and that it was great meeting you when they visited. They ask after your parents and grandfather and would like me to tell you that you are always welcome in the states to study our indigenous beasts." (K)

"That's sweet of them but that wasn't the home front I was speaking of dear. I thought for sure I'd startle you this time." (R)

"I know Rolf but you've failed again. And for your information, since you asked, the other home front has very little happening right now. Fred says hello and is asking if you could get him some illegal breeds, I told him no and I expect you to do the same." (K)

"Well no promises on that one, you know I think that all beasts are simply misunderstood." (R)

"Hmmm yes, like grandfather like grandson I suppose." (K)

"Exactly!" (R)

"That reminds me, please don't leave Biscuit alone anymore. Today he ate three of my clipboards, and an empty carrier. He's getting older and starting to try out new things, and most of those things have been mine." (K)

I look up and see him blush a bit as he looks down at Biscuit, now asleep in his travel basket. I won't lie, Biscuit is the cutest little Crup I've ever seen. Honestly it may be because he's one of the first ones I've seen that still has his forked tail, though how Rolf is avoiding that I'm not sure. But when he wags his tail it just makes it look cuter than if he had a regular tail, or a nub. But the little booger has got to stop eating my clipboards, I've lost eight and counting to the wee devil already.

"I'm sorry dear. I have been working on training him on what is and isn't acceptable to eat." (R)

"Might want to work on it a bit more, but it's alright I suppose. He's still just a little Crup pup really. And a sweetheart, when he isn't eating my clipboards." (K)

"You're a doll for loving him as much as I do, you really are Kat. Well I'm off for the night, going to one of the pubs with some friends. You should come along if you're free." (R)

"Maybe, I'm going to check the vitals again on the niffler that came in a few hours ago to see if it's improved. If I'm still free after that I may join y'all." (K)

"Sound good, see you later then dear." (R)

"Bye Rolf." (K)

I managed to keep the small smile on my face that Rolf had given me when he surprised me in the office a few minutes ago. Rolf Scamander is, according to my parents and the stories that I remember my grandmother telling me when I was small, exactly like his grandfather. Well maybe not as quiet or awkward, if anything he's loud and outgoing, but his care and curiosity of magical beasts rivals his grandfather's. He's been a good friend during the past two months I've been here in Bulgaria.

In fact between him, Vik, and Scar I don't know who to thank more for helping me keep it together. He's still on my mind every day, George that is. I can say his name without bursting out into tears or flinching now, but it's not something that I enjoy doing. I grab my note board and head into the exam room where the niffler is being held. His vitals are looking better than when he was brought in. It's thought he was hit by a no-maj's car as he tried to take the hubcaps off.

I dangle a few silver sickles in front of him and he gets up slower than he should be and wobbles over to me before taking the sickles and putting them in his pouch. He nudges my hand a bit and I place it on his head, stroking the soft fur as he closes his eyes. I smile as he goes to sleep, making a note about his slowed reaction to shiny things. Otherwise he's doing loads better, at least he's moving.

I walk quietly out of the exam room, locking up, before returning to the office to file away the last bit of paperwork. It's been a good two months here, and I only have two more weeks before I'm done. Rolf told me a few days ago about an office they hope to open in the London area in another year or two, and I was even given a guaranteed job once they do. My parents are hoping that after Zeldalia is apprehended I'll come home, but I don't know if I want to leave until Voldemort is no longer a threat.

It wouldn't make sense to most people, staying in a country where a war is surely about to start at any moment when I could go home and be safe. But I'm not most people, in fact I'm pretty sure I'm crazy at this point. Because even if home becomes the safer place for me, I still want to protect the ones that I love, even if they don't all love me. I feel myself sigh and my mood darken some as I linger on the past and even the present and the future. I cast another cheering charm on myself before setting the alarm on the office and apparating back home to Vik's.

"Vik, I'm home." (K)

"Ello Kitty, velcome ome. I'm eaded off to late Quidditch practive. Vould you like to come vith me?" (V)

"Maybe next time, I have too much mail to answer tonight." (K)

"Aww very vell, next time vor sure." (V)

"Of course." (K)

I give him a genuine smile as I watch him return it with one of his own grins before flooing off to the practice pitch I presume. I roll my head on my shoulders trying to relieve some of the tension in my muscles before vamping out. I let out the sigh that I've been holding back for a few hours before I make my way up the stairs into the little office that Vik gave me to use.

Already on my desk are five letters, all with handwriting that I recognize. Dumbledore, Mrs. Weasley, Scar, Fred, and Harry. I suppose I should just pick one at random to see what the dreaded news is for today. I'm sure that Scar's is checking on me since she's on a short vacation with Donovan back home in the states. Dumbledore's is probably something to do with the Order, and Harry's is just an answer to the letter I sent him last week asking how he was doing. I can only imagine what the other two have them, but I'm sure they too just want to see if I'm doing alright.