Chapter 23

Kat's POV:

"Do you miss them a lot Kitty?" (G)

I was pulled out a daydream about begin back home in Louisiana with my family, when George asked me that question. He stayed and visited with my family for the short three days that they were here for. I already miss them, but I feel that they're safer back home than here, even with Zeldalia still at large.

"Sometimes I suppose." (K)

"Just sometimes?" (G)

"Well I've had the Order to keep me busy haven't I?" (K)

"Hmm yeah suppose so. Wanna tell me what you've been up to this time for the Order?" (G)

"I don't think I do honestly." (K)

"Why not love?" (G)

I look up at him as the thoughts run wildy through my mind. What would he think of what I've been up to? What would he think of me kissing Thorfinn as part of my job? Would he be angry? Would he be alright with it knowing my heart belongs to him?

"Lost in thought again huh Kitty?" (G)

"If I tell you, promise not freak out?" (K)

"I can try. No matter what I'll still love you." (G)

"I've been working undercover, mostly on Knockturn Alley." (K)

I watch as his eyes get a bit wide as I tell him this and I can only imagine how wide they'll get before the end of our conversation. How to tell him, how to tell him, how to tell him.

"You were that close the entire time?" (G)

"Actually, I was closer than you could have ever guessed." (K)

"What do you mean Kitty?" (G)

"It's easier to explain if I show you I suppose." (K)

I let go of his hand and stand up from the sofa we were laying on together, before walking away from him a bit. I turn back towards him just as he sits up from the sofa with a concerned stare on his face. I pull out my wand, looking at him one last time, before I begin to cast all the charms and spells to make myself into Verity. I cast them all, except the accent one this time, leaving my southern accent intact.

I open my eyes and find George staring at me with eyes wider than earlier. He stands and walks towards me for a step or two before turning away from me and walking back towards the sofa. He sits back down with a calm, almost frozen look on his face. A look that I've learned on George does not bode well.

"You're.....you're Verity. You've been working with us for months now. I've seen you almost every day. And you.....you never said anything. Fred knew didn't he?" (G)

I open my mouth to answer him but my words are frozen in my throat. I nod to him as he keeps staring at me before pinching the bridge of his nose, looking down towards the floor. This isn't going well at all.

"So....undercover spy for Knockturn Alley with a ruse job giving you a reason to be near there. That I can understand, but I also know that Verity......that you, have been going on dates with a now known Death Eater. Care to explain?" (G)

"I....it's in an attempt to get more information directly from an inside source." (K)

"Is? You're still seeing him?" (G)

I can't answer him as he looks at me with hurt feeling his eyes. We both know that the feelings that Verity....that I have for Thorfinn aren't real, or at least I hope we both know it. I hear George stand up from the couch and then walk towards the fireplace. I look up to see him looking at me with a blank look.

"I need time to process all this. I'll see you later, or I'll see Verity later I suppose." (G)

"George wait please, I'm sorr-"

I didn't have time to finish my sentence or my plea as he steps into the green flames and floos back to the Burrow. I feel tears grow in my eyes but I hold them back as I stare at the fireplace. It's my fault really, I should have told him sooner. Remus and Fred both said I should have, but I was stubborn and didn't listen. I should have tried stopping him from leaving, but I didn't. Why do I never try to stop him from leaving me?

George's POV:

I arrived in the kitchen and found myself in front of Fred eating some of mum's stew. He looks at me and lets his fork drop back into his bowl as I start to walk towards the door. He stands to follow but seems to decide against as he asks me a question first.

"She told you everything huh?" (F)

I give him a nod as I rush out the door and start walking towards my tree near the edge of the forest. This isn't how I wanted to spend my New Year's Day. I let my mind drift back to last night. Fred and I had Lee, Alicia, Angelina, Bill, and even Fleur over at out loft. We drank, we danced, we sang, and we brought in the new year with too many kisses to count. But right now, last night seems like a distant memory from years ago.

I knew her job was dangerous, I knew she was close to Death Eaters in some sense of the word, but to find out that she was dating one wasn't on my mind. I know, or at least I hope, that Kitty doesn't have any true feelings for him. I don't blame her for her actions with him while undercover, rather I think I'm mad at the fact that she was right under my nose for the past six months and I couldn't even tell.

We could have made up months ago and yet she kept it hidden from me, and I don't know why. I feel myself sliding down against the bark of the tree as I keep thinking about all the times she could have told me that she was Verity. I'm not truly mad at her, I'm not sure what to feel right now. I almost feel betrayed, and I'm beginning to wonder if this is how she felt when I put the joke shop first last year.

Oh my poor Kitty, I don't even know how to make up for this or explain why my actions tonight once again make me seem like a true and utter git. I'll probably be able to right a book one day, How to Insult Women in Five Sentences or Less. First things first I suppose. I need to know why Fred knew instead of me, that will help calm my mind a bit I think.