Chapter 29

George's POV:

I was forced to turn away while Madam Pomfrey changed her into a pair of shorts, but after my insistence that I was not leaving and it wasn't anything I hadn't seen before, she let me help take off her t-shirt. As I looked at my Kitty laying on the bed in an expected neon hot pink bra and a pair of white shorts, I found myself choking back more tears. Normally the color of her bra would make me laugh, but as I look at what they did to her I feel my heart break at the sight of her bare body before me.

The scars she got last summer appear to have been roughly cut open, all three jagged lines oozing blood. Her body is littered with more bruises than skin, and there were dozens of knife marks on her shoulders and collar bone area alone. Her face, now wiped clean from grime and dried blood, can be seen as black and blue with cuts on both cheeks and handprint bruises on her neck.

Her legs are bruised and cut up in a similar fashion to her arms. Her stomach, that isn't covered from view with blood is pitch black. Her left hand is still bleeding where the star tattoo was cut away. The longer I look at her the harder it becomes for me to even imagine what she endured, and the more my longing for revenge against them seems to grow.

I watch as Madame Pomfrey starts cleaning the cuts and bruises, dabbing Dittany on the cuts and then carefully bandaging them, using episkey on the smaller cuts. I help her turn her over onto her stomach once we finish her front side, but when we do turn her over both Madame Pomfrey and myself gasp at our findings.

Carved into her back, in between her shoulder blades is the word bloodsucker. The letters are all dripping with blood and are angry and jagged. I feel tears fight to come from my eyes, but as Madame Pomfrey finishes putting Dittany on the letters and bandaging the cut she looks up at me. She starts to say something but decides against it as we turn her gently back over and put a shirt over her.

I look at Kitty's face and I'm relieved to see that she looks peaceful even with the bruises covering her face, but the tears in my eyes only seem to grow. She looks ten time more peaceful than how I saw her look before she was taken. I feel Madame Pomfrey gently squeeze my shoulder and I force my eyes away from Kitty's face to meet Madam Pomfrey's instead.

"You should know that the letters on her back and the other cuts on her body may leave scars. But if you're asking me, it will only a be scar to remind both of you how strong she is. I can't imagine what happened to her, and I must say you're lucky and she's lucky to even be alive." (M.P)

"I know Madame Pomfrey, thank you." (G)

I watch as she nods a bit before going into the back room and coming back with a glass of blood and a potion of some sort. I watch as she points her wand at Kitty and revives her. Kitty opens her silver eyes slowly and I'm reminded of how wounded she is internally as her breathing remains as a gasping sounding breath. She looks at Madame Pomfrey and then at me with wide eyes until she sees me, then she seems to calm down a bit.

"Katherine, I need you to drink this and this. You're in extreme need of rest right now. You must know that." (M.P)

"only if he stays" (K)

The whisper that she speaks in breaks my heart as it reminds me again that she's lucky to be alive. Madame Pomfrey purses her lips a bit, but then Dumbledore walks back in and tells her to allow to me to stay for as long as I need to. She lets out an exasperated sigh before nodding to Kitty that I could stay. I help Kitty sit up as she drinks the blood and the potion, making sure her pillows were soft as I laid her head back down. Madame Pomfrey and Dumbledore walked out of the hospital wing to speak in private, leaving me along with Kitty.

"stay, please" (K)

"Always. Kitty I missed you." (G)

"lay with me" (K)

I don't even argue against that request as I pull another bed next to hers and lay as close to her as I can, half on one bed and half on another. I start running my hands through her curls, which Madame Pomfrey had cleaned up in a second, as I feel her snuggle closer into my chest.

"missed you too" (K)

I feel her slowly reach her right hand up against my chest, and just as her eyes close, she grips my shirt almost as if she's afraid I'll disappear if she lets go. Little does she know that I'm afraid of the same thing. If this is a dream, and she really is gone, then just let me sleep forever.

*********FEW HOURS LATER***********************

I woke up with a shaking feeling on my chest, only to open my eyes and see that Kitty was shaking in her sleep as if she was cold. I sat up and looked at her laying on the bed, before I tried to gently shake her awake. I thought maybe she was having a nightmare, since she was still vamped out, but when she woudn't wake I began to panic.

"Madame Pomfrey! Something's wrong!" (G)

I watched as Madame Pomfrey came running from her office in her nightclothes and a robe. She looked Kitty over before she rushed back into her office. She was gone for several minutes until she came back with a steaming potion and another cup of blood.

"What's wrong with her?" (G)

"The internal damage is greater than I feared. As a dhampir, her body is trying to heal itself but she's lost too much blood to be able to do it successfully. So, her body is beginning to shut down on itself. That's why she's cold and shaking right now." (M.P)

"Surely you can do something?!?" (G)

"I can certainly try. For now another potion and more blood. I'll run down to Professor Snape's office after I give her these to see if he could make a stronger potion for her. I'd ask Slughorn, but I feel that Snape will be the best option at this late hour." (M.P)

I feel a bit uneasy about her asking Snape to make a potion for her, but I'd rather she have something then nothing. I watch as Madame Pomfrey revives Kat for the second time this night, but she barely responds when she opens her eyes and looks at us. I help her sit up and we give her the cup of blood followed by the potion. I lay her gently back as she falls back into what I hope is a dreamless sleep.

The shaking has stopped for now, but her breathing is still uneven as if she were still shaking. I run my hand through her gentle curls as I watch her sleep. I hear Madame Pomfrey walk off as I keep watch over her. The thought of her body shutting down on itself terrifies me. But I can't think of what I can do to help her, though I wish I could.