*16*

Zayn likes when the bookstore is quiet, when he can hear the soft music overhead and he can stock the shelves without being distracted. By customers at least, but the new employee seems to be almost as bad as them.

"Tell me where these go again?"

Zayn sighs, trying his hardest not to be rude but he new employee - Jamie or something, is driving him nuts. Zayn has told them twice already today where the mystery section is. The bookshop isn't that large, and there is a sign hanging above each one.

Zayn is tired, so his patience is more limited than normal and it isn't Jamie's fault, so he gives them a weak smile as he points towards the sign across from them.

"Okay, thanks. And by the way, some guy is at the front asking for you," they says, nudging their head towards the front of the store. "Fit, you know, muscley kind."

Zayn glowers at them before he slides the book he is holding onto the shelf. Jamie only shrugs before Zayn turns away, jealousy making his stomach sour.

His heart leaps into his throat, before he eyes Liam. A reaction to him he hasn't gotten used to yet, but reckons he never wants to.

It is worse when he sees Liam, a soft smile on his lips, eyes crinkling at the corners and cheeks bunched up. He holds two cups of coffee up, wiggling his brows as Zayn comes over.

"Life saver," Zayn practically moans, taking the cup Liam holds out towards him. He had missed his alarm, waking up to a sweaty Liam just back from his run coaxing him awake, and hadn't had time to stop before going to work.

"An apology," Liam chuckles. He ducks forward, placing a kiss against Zayn's nose. "For keeping you up so late last night."

Zayn grins as he sips at his coffee. He definitely doesn't mind, doesn't mind Liam keeping him up with a hand gripping his throat and lips in his ear, moaning out compliments like he gets off on them as much as Zayn does.

(And he is sore, but he definitely doesn't mind, it lets him think about the way Liam had dicked into him roughly, contrasting with the gentle way he had slotted their lips together.)

"And," Liam sighs, dragging a thumb against the finger shaped bruise at the column of his neck. "For that too."

"Don't have to apologize," Zayn says shyly as he cups Liam's cheek. He drops his voice into a whisper, just in case his coworker is near. "Just fuck me gentle tonight."

Liam presses his groan to Zayn's lips and when he pulls away after a moment, he has a wounded look on his face.

"I'm going to see me mum after work. But I'll be only gone the night," he promises, even though he doesn't have to.

"Gonna tell her about me?" Zayn asks before he can think about it. He flushes, eyes going wide but Liam only laughs.

"Babe, I did that weeks ago."

It doesn't help the flush in his cheeks, but makes it worse and he tries to hide it behind his cup but Liam curls fingers around his wrist to pull his hand down, laughing at him harder. Zayn wants to kiss him to be quiet, to ease the flutter in his heart but he isn't sure it is appropriate at work. (Even if there aren't any customers, it would be his luck that his boss would walk in at the exact moment their lips touched.)

"She will hate me," Zayn murmurs, pouting at him when Liam cups a hand at the back of his head to pull him close. He flicks Liam in the neck gently, tapping a mouth shaped bruise over his birthmark.

Liam grimaces. "I'll tell her um, like I hit a mailbox."

"With your neck?" Zayn huffs out, clenching his eyes shut as his body curves away from Liam with the force of his laughter. It disturbs the quiet of the bookshop, but for once Zayn doesn't mind it.