*14*

Liam straddles Zayn's legs before smoothing his palms up his back, digging in the heels of his palms where he feels the tense of his muscles. He has seemed a bit off the last few days, and Liam isn't sure why. Zayn has sworn the Dani thing hadn't bothered him, that he didn't care if Niall and Louis knew they were messing around, but something did -

He wants to ask what it is, but he won't make Zayn uncomfortable. He is quieter than normal but not shying away when Liam touches him, and kisses back when Liam brushes their lips together, so it eases his worries that it is something between them. He is just worried in general -

Zayn groans softly as his eyes close, Liam's fingers digging into the dip of his shoulders before slipping and massaging back down his back. He leans forward, brushing a kiss at the back of Zayn's neck as he digs his fingers in circular motions down the muscles around his spine.

"Okay?" Liam mutters, shifting back up to rub at the muscles by his hips. He rubs lower, working over the small dip at the bottom of his spine. There are small bruises around his hips, and Liam knows there are longer, finger shaped ones on his bum. He had pressed kisses to them the night before, tonguing apologies across his skin as Zayn squirmed across the sheets.

"Yeah," Zayn huffs out as Liam works up his spine, rolling his thumbs over each knob. "Two exams today."

Liam hums, remembering the way Zayn had practically flown out of bed this morning, waking up earlier than Liam - which is rare. "Is that why you've seemed so off?"

Zayn tenses again and Liam does too, hoping he hadn't sounded rude. He parts his lips to apologize when Zayn speaks.

"Yeah, was stressful. I think I'm going to go home for the weekend. Always eases me a bit. Miss my dad."

Liam kisses at his spine as he massages up his back, hoping Zayn is eased by him too. He wants him to be, craves to be someone Zayn can find comfort in. "I'll miss you."

Zayn moans softly as Liam's fingers dig back into his shoulders, his lips tugging up into a small smile, his cheek nuzzling into one of Liam's pillows. "I'll miss you too, babe."

Liam drags his smile across his jaw, warming a kiss to the corner of his mouth. "You're not going to find someone new in Bradford while you're gone, are you?"

"Two days, babe," Zayn laughs. Liam tickles his fingers down Zayn's arms, slipping them through the spaces between his own underneath the pillow he rests on. His chest plants to Zayn's back, forearms resting on the mattress to keep most of his weight off of him. "And I'm taking all of your clothes to wear."

Liam hums, brushing his lips across his temple. It is intimate, the calm that has settled around them, both of them soaking in the warmth of the other. Zayn doesn't shy away from him when he wants to touch just to touch, with no intent other than to satiate his need to touch Zayn's skin. "Leave something for me."

"I'll think about it," Zayn sighs, words coated in amusement before Liam covers his mouth with his own.

+*

"Beta."

Zayn grins, tucking his face against his dad's chest as he hugs him, not waiting to step into the house before he does so. Yaser chuckles softly, cupping the back of his head as he kisses the top of it.

"Come inside. It is getting cold outside."

Zayn nods, tightening Liam's leather jacket around him. He hadn't even considered taking this one with him, but Liam had wrapped it around his shoulders, over the plaid shirt before he could leave the apartment. He shushed Zayn when he had frowned in confusion, because the air is crisp and cool now and he isn't sure if Liam owns another.