*2*

"What do you have in here, a dead body?" Harry complains, trying to keep the suitcase from clanging against the stairs but it doesn't work. They are only on the second floor, thankfully, because the elevator is closed for repair.

Zayn grins, following behind him with two duffel bags in each hand. He doesn't have a lot of things, most of his belongings still at his childhood home in Bradford, but it feels like a lot when he had been trying to pack them into as few bags and boxes as possible.

"Yeah, your boyfriend's."

Harry lets out a sigh of relief as he steps onto the second floor's landing. "Don't get mad at him, he doesn't know that you get a proper stiff over his best mate."

"I do not," Zayn denies coolly, shoving past Harry with a grin on his lips.

Harry rolls his eyes as he follows behind him. "Don't act like I didn't see you at the footie game last year -"

"Shut up," Zayn snaps, turning to glare at him before he steps up to their flat's door. It is cracked open already, since they have been moving in all morning. Harry moved in yesterday, where he found out that someone was given the extra room -

(Which is completely Harry's fault because it was supposed to be his, but he insisted on sharing with Nialler even though Zayn thought it to be daft. They just started dating at the end of the last school year, only a few months ago.)

"'Oh my god, Haz. Who is that? Look at those arms -'"

Zayn punches him hard in the shoulder to get him to shut up. It works, but Harry's face crumples into a frown as he drops his suitcase loudly by the front door.

"That was unnecessary, you arse. I'm just saying that maybe this will give you the chance to finally grow the balls to ask him to help you with it. And you'll be thanking Niall later -"

Zayn goes to punch him again as Niall pads out from the hallway, an apple in his hand, brows furrowed as he chews. His sweater is much too big on him, bunching around the wrists and hanging way past his hips, his blonde tipped hair a wreck around his head. He had been sprawled out on the couch when they first walked, asleep and hanging halfway off the couch.

"Thanking me for what?"

"For suggesting we all go out tonight," Harry says instantly, giving Zayn a look that makes the urge to punch him harder to resist. "Us, Payner and Tommo. Like a roommate bonding thing or whatever. Get to know each other,"

Niall's face brightens, lips quirking up high into his cheeks as he points at Zayn, missing the way Harry wiggles his eyes at Zayn as he says the last part. "You got it, laddy. Harry said he reckoned you were going to be resistant about coming with us."

Zayn has always liked Niall, and it is kind of hard not to with the way his laughter is addictive and there is always a pleasant smile on his face. You always know when you are in the same room with him, louder than everyone no matter what crowd it is. Like Harry, social and the life of the party. The only reason Zayn can find to explain maybe why they work.

"He thinks I hate going out but I just hate him," Zayn utters as he shuffles through the large living room. It is messy, clothes strewn on the floor and opened pizza boxes laid out on the table. Xbox games are piled up all around the television, mixed in with movies and textbooks that are old and worn looking. The ground could use a good vacuuming, and Zayn is thankful he hadn't taken up his mum's offer on helping him move into the apartment because she would absolutely go crazy at the state of it.

The hallway to their bedrooms is a bit narrow where the first two bedrooms are, his elbows nearly clacking against the walls on either side as he pads through. It forms a cul-de-sac at the end, where the bathroom, Zayn's bedroom and Liam Payne's bedroom is -