*10*

The world is against them, Liam swears.

With the Niall and Harry drama, the amount of homework and projects for class, and extra shifts at the garage, he barely has more than a few moments alone with Zayn. Just enough to drag him somewhere quiet, and get himself worked up with hard kisses and hands exploring each other's bodies before they have to part ways. It is partly his fault too, because he falls asleep after only a moment in his bed, waiting for Zayn to get home because he feels exhausted by the time he gets home.

"This is nice," Zayn murmurs, looking up at Liam from over his textbook. He knocks his ankle against Liam's under the table, the corners of his lips quirking up into a soft smile.

Liam looks around at the busy cafe, filled with a buzz of chatter and soft music playing from overhead.The house is too tense with Niall and Harry walking about, clearly ignoring each other, so Liam had disappeared to do his homework somewhere else, after stopping at the bookshop to see if Zayn wanted to join. "The cafe?"

Zayn shrugs. "Hanging with you too, a bit."

Liam can't help the way the smile takes over his face. It isn't exactly the alone time he craves, but he likes this just as much. Even if they have barely spoken a word as they try to read for class. It is just nice being around him.

He likes the way Zayn's brows furrow when he reads, and the soft smile that takes over his lips when he catches onto Liam's constant glances. He likes the way his nose wrinkles and his tongue presses against the back of his teeth when he laughs, and there is something adorable and oddly hot about the way he constantly rubs a finger at his eyebrow when he reads.

It is just, Liam feels kind of gone for him and all the little things he does.

"S'alright," Liam teases, earning a soft kick in the shin.

"Wanna um," Zayn starts, fidgeting with the pages of his book before putting it down and reaching for his half empty mug instead. "We can hang tonight? Niall's taking Harry out to talk finally, and Louis said he was avoiding the apartment at all costs just in case it turns back, so -"

Liam huffs out a sigh as he drags his fingers through the curls at the top of his head. They are a mess from Zayn's fingers dragging through them while he pressed hasty kisses to Liam's lips behind the cafe.

"I promised Paddy I would stay late to do some paperwork," Liam says apologetically. He leans across the table to tickle his fingers under Zayn's chin, waggling his eyebrows. "Wanna go make out in your car until I have to go?"

Zayn grimaces, but the brightness in his eyes only shines brighter. "I guess."

Liam snorts, pulling a few bills out of his wallet to leave on the table before he follows Zayn out of the cafe.

Liam groans, rubbing his temple before he tries again. He is reading the words on the paper in front of him, but they seem to disappear from his memory the moment he moves onto the next one. He is distracted, too busy thinking about the soft way Zayn whimpered when Liam kissed him harder, the needy way he worked his hips against Liam's like he had been unable to control it, uncaring that they weren't as discreet as Liam hoped they would be, parked in the farthest parking lot by the bookshop.

Liam flinches away from his thoughts when his phone rings, vibrating loudly beside his stack of paperwork. The garage is empty since it is after closing, and it is eerily quiet in Paddy's office without anyone else there.

He eyes Niall's contact before he answers, prepping himself for Niall to be mad.

"I'm an arse," Niall greets, not angry but overwhelmed sounding. "Complete arse."

Liam frowns, leaning back in his chair, unsure if he wants to focus more on the boring paperwork or Niall's relationship problems, which is hard to do because Niall won't tell him what they are fighting about. "Are you going to tell me what happened, then?"

Niall makes a wounded noise before he answers, his words coming out so rushed and jumbled that Liam can't make any sense of them.

"Wait, what?"

"Harry wants to meet my mum," Niall says defensively, spitting the words at him. "My dad too. Wants to meet the folks, be introduced as me boyfriend or whatever."

Liam groans loudly, pinching his temples as he takes in Niall's words. "That is why you have been fighting all this time?"

"Shove off," Niall grunts, aggravated. "M'not good with this stuff, mate. Bein' serious, more than casual."

"You're not casual," Liam says gently, not wanting to be rude. "You asked him to move in, you look at him like you -"

He stops, grinning to himself because he knows if he even hints at the L word than Niall will turn into a mess of flustered words and denial. Niall constantly rags on him for being a romantic sap, but Liam knows Niall can be the same - it just might be a little harder to notice sometimes.

"Yeah," Niall grumbles. "Gonna tell him tonight. Hopefully like, it makes it better."

Liam's chest swells with pride. "Proud of you."

"Whatever. I'm only going to tell him I like him strongly," Niall chuckles in embarrassment and Liam has to purse his lips to trap the judgmental groan in his throat. "What about you, Wolf? I know you're arse over tit for Zayner. You look at him all funny. Especially when he wears them half shirt things."

Liam feels his cheeks flush as he sinks into his chair, smile faltering. "Don't change the subject."

"M'done with the subject, it's making me nervous." Niall laughs it off, but the nerves that cling to his words are hard to miss. "Better go pick him up before I change my mind."

"Good idea," Liam says, relief flooding through him in hope that they stop fighting and that Niall drops the Zayn subject.

"Alright, I'll talk to you. And Liam? The lad looks at you all funny, too."

Liam doesn't respond to that, only hangs up with a laugh and a good luck.

His preoccupation with Zayn worsens after that, and after an hour he gives up on staring at the paperwork and heads home. He can't deal with the need to taste Zayn's skin any longer, to press him into the sheets and carve kisses of mine across his hips.